UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Spartacus Star has passed away

DecimusCaesar

The leading star of Spartacus Blood and Sand has died of non-Hodgkins lymphona -

From Imdb -

Andy Whitfield, whose impressive physique didn't hurt his lead performance in the Starz series "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" has died in his home country of Australia after a battle with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Whitfield was 39. In a statement provided to Associated Press, Whitfield's wife, Vashti, called her husband a "beautiful young warrior" who died on a "sunny morning" in the "arms of his loving wife." Whitfield -- who was born in Wales and lived in Australia -- was a virtual unknown when he was cast as the title hero in "Spartacus," a hit original series for the Starz network that was known for its graphic violence and sexuality. Whitfield was preparing for the show's second season when he was diagnosed 18 months ago.

Here's a link: Andy Whitfield

Curious thing isn't it? I agree that a young death has a sense of pointlessness, but notice that we find it regrettable that someone dies young without some dramatic gesture in life. He didn't die fighting or risking his life to stretch the boundaries of human achievement, so that we feel saddened in a way that wouldn't happen if we could place some value or honour to his end.

The reason I'm underlining this is because I see the same thing in the Roman sources, only in their case, young deaths are far more common, so they do emphasise these sentiments so much more, although one should take care not to make too many parallels because the Romans were far more concerned with victory, about winning, rather than our victorian-esque desire to take part whatever the consequence.

Edited by caldrail

Curious thing isn't it? I agree that a young death has a sense of pointlessness, but notice that we find it regrettable that someone dies young without some dramatic gesture in life. He didn't die fighting or risking his life to stretch the boundaries of human achievement, so that we feel saddened in a way that wouldn't happen if we could place some value or honour to his end....

I think it's that sense of promise unrealized.

• 2 weeks later...

You see, those last two replies are exactly what I mean. The issue of loss and unrealised promise is not contested. I agree with you both. My point was the motive that underlies that sentiment. Think about it. If for instance he'd died a hero in battle, we would still mourn his passing, but instead of a 'meaningless loss' his death would have taken on a meaning deeply entrenched in our psyche. It would be.. Well, maybe not acceptable as such, but we could rationalise and accept his passing so much easier. Don't forget, the man was a successful actor albeit with an unintentionally short career.

I've not followed this particular actor's career but from family experience do have a sense of sadness at anyone's 'early' demise from cancer whether they have knowingly been fighting the disease for a longish time or not.

It is generally not an easy way to go and irrespective of their fans views in the case of actors like everyone else it is the surviving family who are the ones who really have to pick up the pieces afterwards so they have my sympathy.

I echo what Hieronymus said - unrealised promise - and also the gap he's left in the lives of his wife and two young children.

I posted a short piece in homage to Andy on my website.

Ben: Thank you for the very moving tribute to the man.

Now being a middle-aged man, I have witnessed the passing of many people I knew and loved. Sadly, only after the painful experiences of life's lessions, do we learn how fragile a gift life truly is.

Through no fault of his own, he has been cruelly taken from those who knew him and loved him the most, his wife and children.

May the man who became Spartacus live long in our thoughts and may comforting memories forever be with his family and loved ones,

guy also known as gaius