UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GhostOfClayton

Chelmsford 123

Chelmsford-123-The-Complete-Series-1-and-2-DVD-66233.jpg

The excellent and hilarious Chelmsford 123 is now available on DVD.

"They call me 'Mungo the Forgetful'."

"Why's that?"

"Why's what?"

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Ghost this post has been split off from its original location as discussion of such topics is the stated intent of the Colosseum forum. B)

So it is. I was being dim.

This is fantastic news, Ghost! I shall be ordering my DVDs without delay! I have seen several reviews which didn't really rate this series, but even if I wasn't interested in Roman history, I would still find it funny.

'You are, with respect, Grasientus, an ugly bastard'

Great! :P

Edited by Northern Neil

This is fantastic news, Ghost! I shall be ordering my DVDs without delay! I have seen several reviews which didn't really rate this series, but even if I wasn't interested in Roman history, I would still find it funny.

'You are, with respect, Grasientus, an ugly bastard'

Great! :P

Just received it and watched the first two episodes. Still funny after all these years - especially the first episode, which has a large amount in Latin!

I can't believe I've never seen this show?? Or for that matter even heard of it!

When was it on?

Could well make a nice addition to my Roman collection though!

I can't believe I've never seen this show?? Or for that matter even heard of it!

When was it on?

It was on round about the late '80's, on Channel 4. It features Jimmy Mulville, Rory McGrath, Philip Pope and Neil Pearson of 'Drop the Dead Donkey' fame. Some of the actors from the Blackadder series got in there too, including Bill Wallis, who played an excellent Emperor Hadrian. I think it only got repeated a couple of times, probably because some of the jokes were a little too historical for the average ITV punter. But I thought it was hilarious - prepare yourself for a treat, GPM!

When was it on?

Do not hesitate to order it, GP-Max. You only need to read the reviews on Amazon - all 5-star.

It was on in 1988. I'm particulalry keen to get it because I know there's one episode I haven't seen. I had made the mistake of giving a young lady the 'brush off' earlier in the evening, and she chose the exact start of Chelmsford 123 to phone me up and cry at me. This was before the days of iPlayer, or VCR (not in my flat, anyway), and so I missed it.

I'm aware the above makes me sound like some sort of hard-hearted lethario, but I can assure you this isn't the case. There were a small number of girlfriends in my youth, but all but two gave me the brush-off. The first of those is mentioned above, and the second is Mrs OfClayton who, at the time of writing, is bravely hanging on in there.

"They call me Mungo the Contradictory."

"Do they?"

"No"

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Do not hesitate to order it, GP-Max. You only need to read the reviews on Amazon - all 5-star.

In fact, as you haven't seen it before, GPM, why not write a UNRV review after you've watched it? It would be good to see your point of view on the series, from the perspective of someone for whom this is a new experience.

I'm aware the above makes me sound like some sort of hard-hearted lethario...

Yep! ;)

Edited by Northern Neil

On finally returning to OfClayton Towers late last night, I found that this had dropped through the letter box in my absence. I've watched the first series already!

Mungo: "They call me Mungo The Quick"

Young Lady: "Why's that?"

Mungo: :wacko: . . . . . . . "Sorry"

After reading these posts, I did a search for the series on Utube. Finally found all 40 episodes at one web site and so far have watched the first part of Episode One, Season One. This was a great show! I should write our PBS station and beg them to buy it.

These were up on youtube on Channel 4's page. I tried watching a few but they always ended up freezing, sometimes on the adverts being shown at the beginning. I wish Channel 4 would fix it. Then again the DVDs are available now so it might be worth getting them on that.

These were up on youtube on Channel 4's page. I tried watching a few but they always ended up freezing, sometimes on the adverts being shown at the beginning. I wish Channel 4 would fix it. Then again the DVDs are available now so it might be worth getting them on that.

I just ordered mine!

I've watched many episodes on Utube and so far have had no problems one after another. Only, I'm suddenly confused that I may not be watching them in order. Aulus's character now has blonde hair and there are new opening credits - so I'm not sure if I'm still in Season One or not. It's the same actor, no? I'm ready to watch "Odi Et Aimo" Part 1. I agree, the DVDs would be a much better quality of picture too altho the Utube's aren't bad.