UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Torture

longbow

Hi all, there was a documentary on bbc about torture,Torturers from all over the world were interviewed and what was most disturbing i found was that nearly all of these men,who i assumed would be barbaric animals were actually quite normal.Not one of them felt guilty about what they had done and most of them were proud of it.This got me to thinking about the morrality issues discussed resently,life was cheap 2000 years ago and it still is now,maybe our governments dont kill entire citys now but they still kill individuals who are a threat to there state (and a lot of the time people who are no threat at all).I dont think were much different to the average person in ancient Rome,just its been scaled down more but still has the same effect.L

These days with advances in biochemistry, psychology, and information science there are probably easier ways of extracting info than through prolonged torture sessions.

Although inflicting pain on "enemies of the state" might still be entertaining on a primal level. :-)

These days with advances in biochemistry, psychology, and information science there are probably easier ways of extracting info than through prolonged torture sessions.

Although inflicting pain on "enemies of the state" might still be entertaining on a primal level. :-)

yes true,for developed countrys this technique is available along with stress positions and white noise (that must be annoying).But the undeveloped (Africa,Latin America etc) they will still use the good old blow torch and hammer technique.L