UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ursus

Spartacus: Vengeance

I've got to get round to watching the prequel series. Hopefully Season 2 will live up to the promise of the first season. One thing that's nice to see is that we have a Roman TV series which has survived more than two seasons, unlike HBO's Rome.

I thought Lucretia is dead, but it seems she is just mad. More mad then before I mean. "Crazy sex isn't always good sex" - Lucy Lawless made me laugh. Very glad the they kept her.

I thought Lucretia is dead, but it seems she is just mad. More mad then before I mean. "Crazy sex isn't always good sex" - Lucy Lawless made me laugh. Very glad the they kept her.

I guess she was too popular to kill off.

I mean, it's not like a sword through her pregnant belly would actually kill her, right? T'was but a scratch.

I guess she was too popular to kill off.

I mean, it's not like a sword through her pregnant belly would actually kill her, right? T'was but a scratch.

Damn... If only ONE of Capua's Favorite Married Couple were to survive, I would've preferred it to have been John Hannah's character.

-- Nephele

I fear the clocks will tick very slowly towards the eventual release date of the region 2 DVD. I shouldn't wish my life away!

Why do I have to submit my birth date before I can view the video? I even made up a fake one and still couldn't watch. :blink:

Probably to see if you are over 18 because of the violence. It worked for me.

Why do I have to submit my birth date before I can view the video? I even made up a fake one and still couldn't watch. :blink:

Yes, I'm afraid you're too young and impressionable for such scenes, Crispina.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

I saw an advance copy of the first episode. Below are vague spoilers. Skip if you don't want to know.

The new fellow playing Spartacus fills in nicely for what he has to do, which is mainly show anger and remorse. And flex his muscles for the ladies. I think he'll do fine.

Lucretia, as you must know by now, survives. She has post traumatic stress disorder, and so walks around looking lost and hopeless. She also lacks Quintus Batiatus off of whom she usually played. So, she is not nearly the firebrand she was. The episode kind of lacked a little something without her prancing about, but I'm all for the change in her character arc, which is logical given the events of the last episode of the previous season.

The energy void abdicated by Lucretia and Quintus are filled by Glaber and Ilithyia. They work well together as villians. They move into the house of Batiatus, supposedly because the gladiator barracks can house Glaber's legion, but I think it's simply because the production team can recycle the set.

There is a secondary villian duo, in the form a young politico-soldier, and his sister. They are rivals to Glaber in the race to defeat Spartacus and gain martial glory. It is also hinted in the first episode this brother-sister pair might be engaged in incest. If it pans out that they are incestuous, I'm not sure what viewers are going to think of a brother-sister pairing. Yuck.

Speaking of sex .... The sex and violence have been amplified, if that is possible. And they often occur in tandem with each other. The first episode had a very graphic encounter at a brothel. The violence is also becoming a bit comical, as when Spartacus and 3 of his comrades hold off an entire legionary detachment.

It will be a year before the DVD for the full season is released, so I guess I'll see you then!

How exactly does Lucretia survive that blood bath? I couldn't believe when I saw Lawless's character in the previews. What was the purpose of resurrecting her?

Poor Andy. I might try and watch the first episode though.

How exactly does Lucretia survive that blood bath?

The favor of the gods. wink.gif

I couldn't believe when I saw Lawless's character in the previews. What was the purpose of resurrecting her?

Too popular a character to kill off.

The theme of the season is Vengeance. So, in the season finale, as Spartacus no doubt gets his vengeance against Glaber, I am sure Lucretia will no doubt get her vengeance against Ilithyia for locking the door which blocked her escape.