UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GhostOfClayton

Housesteads Makeover

Housesteads - probably the most visted of all the forts on Hadrian's Wall - has just closed for 6 months to allow the first phase of a 3-part makeover.

Phase 1 - The upgrading of the museum (long overdue for such a high profile site!) This will open in Spring 2012.

Phase 2 - Better Visitor Facilities (though the ones that are there at the moment seem fine to me). Opening end 2012.

Phase 3 - Feel free to speculate. Next time I'm there, I'll ask. The terrain makes the site inherantly wheelchair unfriendly, but they've done the best they can, so I doubt it's that.

Anyhow, more info here.

Phase 2 - Better Visitor Facilities (though the ones that are there at the moment seem fine to me). Opening end 2012.

Really? The facilities near the car park are fine, but at the site itself they're pretty much nonexistent.

Folks walking the trail might not even realize there are any facilities at all, unless they ask.

Looks like there will be some new things to see along Hadrian's Wall next May when I visit. Although it's only been a year since I last visited the wall, I'm glad there have been several changes/upgrades since then - including the museum at Vindolanda and the new film at the Roman Army Museum for example.

That's good to hear. The museum in paticular has like Goc say's has been for quite a while in need of a generous sprinkling of tlc. The visitor facilities are ok at the moment but any upgrade will obviously improve the whole Housesteads experience.

Looking forward to visiting the new improved Housteads in 2012.