UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

German Line From Gladiator?

skel

a friend asked me the other day what the germanic leader said in the opening scenes of Gladiator. i told him it was probably something along the lines of "go F' yourself!" but i may be very wrong. im sure you all know the line im talking about... but can you tell me what it really means?

well ive been searching fora while now and i cant find the actual line that is said. but i can try to type it as it sounds.

he says something thats ounds like this... " El seeta fookta unda"

i know that would not be how it is spelled but maybe that will help you know what im talking about? i assume the "unda" would be along the lines of "you" and the "fookta" word would be along the lines of the F word.

what do you guys think?

ursus you may be right, it could be gibberish. in king arthur i know they completely made up the "woad" language...

and Dem, that sounds more apropraite then what i thought. now that i think about it i doubt the F word was even around then...

ursus you may be right, it could be gibberish. in king arthur i know they completely made up the "woad" language...

That's the first I heard this, but could there be any larger indictment of just how ahistorical that movie was. Sorry, I can't help it, I just hated that film :(

Anyway, as for gladiator.. after a bit of googling I came up with this.

GERMAN BARBARIAN: Ihr seid verfluchte hunde!

now that i think about it i doubt the F word was even around then...

LOL. No it wasn't -- it has been said that English has the most swear words of any language, but then again the English speaking people of the world have more to swear about perhaps. :(

demson you seem to be correct, i translated what was said and although they couldnt translate the "verfluchte" word, the rest means "you are ... dogs!"

thanks guys now i can inform my friend of what it really means :(

and PP that lil movie is hilarious... ive seen it before ;)