UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman villa

cinzia8

I'm wondering if Roman villas in the countryside could have a veranda? Does anyone know where I might find some pictures. I've seen blueprints of the inside of a villa or home, but I think it's not unreasonable to think that they may have had extended roofs and a place to sit outside in the front by an entrance.

Thanks,

Cinzia

Bignor Roman Villa

mbig1.gif

Chedworth

villa.gif

Chedworth.jpg

Crofton

00000278-01-220x165.jpg

Fishbourne

palace_model.jpg

Hope this helps.

The thing to remember is that with urban dwellings all the views were internal with 'blank' exterior walls and to some extent this practice continued in rural sites. At least with British sites since a basic building could be slowly extended into a series of courtyards it is only where the final 'courtyard' remained incomplete that you tend to get external views from the 'veranda'.

Thanks Clayton and Melavidius. Wow, that Fishbourne villa is huge.

"At night, they would sip sweet wine on the veranda overlooking the courtyard." Does this sound accurate?

That Chedworth villa looks like the owners could sit on a veranda or porch overlooking the grounds as well.

Do you know if there are any tour companies that just bring a traveller around to see Roman sites. I know the Smithsonian in America does archaeological vacation tours. I suppose I can Google this. Not ready to pack just yet but it's a thought. <g>

Thanks again,

Cinzia

Do you know if there are any tour companies that just bring a traveller around to see Roman sites. I know the Smithsonian in America does archaeological vacation tours. I suppose I can Google this. Not ready to pack just yet but it's a thought. <g>

I don't know of any in the UK, or else I would be offering my services to them. Our Hadrian's Wall tour fits the bill, and I also do a couple of tours in the South of France (though they are hiking tours with Roman themes rather than specific Archaeological tours).

I see these covered walkways as just that - a practical measure rather than a place to sit and enjoy. However, you have to imagine that they would make the best of any natural daylight, and any covered area would offer protection from the sun and rain, if required. What country are we talking about?

Edited by GhostOfClayton

I don't know of any in the UK, or else I would be offering my services to them. Our Hadrian's Wall tour fits the bill, and I also do a couple of tours in the South of France (though they are hiking tours with Roman themes rather than specific Archaeological tours).

I see these covered walkways as just that - a practical measure rather than a place to sit and enjoy. However, you have to imagine that they would make the best of any natural daylight, and any covered area would offer protection from the sun and rain, if required. What country are we talking about?

Sorry in the delayed response--life's distractions. This "veranda" description is for a villa in Tuscany. I'm going off the idea that my family loves to be outside in the summer, especially in the evening. So, I want to describe some summer nights where the characters sit outside, taking their meal and enjoy the surroundings.

What do you mean by a walking tour with a Roman theme? Thanks again. You're always helpful.

Cinzia

What do you mean by a walking tour with a Roman theme? Thanks again. You're always helpful.

Cinzia

To save this thread going off-topic, I'll PM you with the details.

Back on topic. Speaking of Fishbourne, they have an outdoor triclineum in the Roman garden.

One of the issues with an outside 'veranda' is that this has security implications. Even in a large well-organized town there are issues with intruders (note the 'bandits' breaking down an Athenian house door in 'The Golden Ass'). In some areas country villas were designed to serve as temporary mini-fortresses should the need arise. Even with the villas at Herculaneum which I have been studying recently, sea views were obtained by raising part of the villa so that the sea could be seen from an internal balcony (some of which balconies were certainly large enough for a dinner party).

One of the issues with an outside 'veranda' is that this has security implications. Even in a large well-organized town there are issues with intruders (note the 'bandits' breaking down an Athenian house door in 'The Golden Ass'). In some areas country villas were designed to serve as temporary mini-fortresses should the need arise. Even with the villas at Herculaneum which I have been studying recently, sea views were obtained by raising part of the villa so that the sea could be seen from an internal balcony (some of which balconies were certainly large enough for a dinner party).

Thanks Maty. Definitely something to keep in mind. I'm thinking a villa in Tuscany, but there's no reason why they can't be on a balcony as well.

Cinzia