UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Crispina

To those who celebrate tomorrow

It is a day for giving thanks...and I have plenty to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving! :wine:

I give thanks to the fact that I shall be going to see the excellent comedian Milton Jones at Donacster Dome tonight. This as come as a last minute reprieve from babysitting for the larger of the OfClayton Neice/Nephew tribes. So that's a double 'thanks'.

Please excuse my ignorance guys but what exactly is Thanksgiving? I've always known about it but have never really known the reason for it.

What's the history behind this day of celebration and why is such a big thing in the states?

Cheers?

Please excuse my ignorance guys but what exactly is Thanksgiving? I've always known about it but have never really known the reason for it.

What's the history behind this day of celebration and why is such a big thing in the states?

Cheers?

Really, it traditionally is a harvest festival. For North Americans, Thanksgiving is the holiday we celebrate as a commemoration of the 'First Thanksgiving' that the Pilgrims celebrated in 1621. Nowadays, it's meant as a 'national day of thanks', a time to be thankful for what you have, and to celebrate with family and/or friends. It also sort of marks the beginning of the Holiday Season for Americans, since we celebrate it on the 4th Thursday of November; Canadians celebrate it in mid-October. It's actually a really cool holiday, perhaps even better than Christmas because there is much less pressure on gifts (because there are none), and you spend it with loved one...not always family, and friends are often part of the equation.

By the way, the day after Thanksgiving is known as Black Friday...the day that Americans act like idiots and push others out of the way in the stores just to be the very first ones to buy some Christmas gift that may or may not be wanted. (As you can tell, I don't exactly participate in that tradition. Never did like mosh pits. :furious::hammer: )

Whatever history it had with our Puritan settlers and native Americans is lost on most people. Most people simply get a paid day off from work where they can feast with their family , and watch TV (particularly football). A paid day off work is enough for most Americans to be thankful for, trust me.

For some reason, turkey has become the "traditional" dinner even though the original Puritans and Natives ate venison.

In Canada Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second monday of October.

It is not part of the American holiday or tradtion.

I knew it had something to do with celebrating a sucessful harvest time as in Europe.

Here is a fuller history and description of Canadian Thanksgiving.

Canadian Thanksgiving.

and yes we do roast a turkey but some prefer a pork roast or ham.