UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maximus

Code Of Conduct For Re-enactors

We have recently come across some impersonators of Roman Legionnaries who do not know the history of the Roman Legions and do not wear the authentic uniform of the day. I was wondering if any other re-enactors out there have a code of conduct between them and other groups or is it everyone for themselves? Do you think that there should be some form of rules that everyone should obey? I really need some answers because our group and several others in the area are being threatened by these guys.

as a sort of re-enactor myself i can tell you that i personally wish people would be more historically accurate. if there were some sort of international re-enactor guidlines that individual groups could go by. that would help alot i belive. but unfortunatly there is no such thing short of the SCA, and even in the SCA its really a sort of "do what you think is right" attitude on how you do it. also i think the problem is, since people re-enact things from cenuries ago, few people REALLY know how things actually were. ya know?

Yeah thanks for that but how do you think that we could persuade other people to come around to the idea?

What sort of standards would you expect to see from someone who is portraying a Roman soldier. Which do you consider most important: Visual Impact, Knowledge of History or the whole presentation that they put on?

well, as with any new idea, a good campaign is the key. getting your word out. try to make the people your trying to reach see your point of view. make them also feel the need for a unified code of conduct.

i suggest talking it over with your group first. then just spread through word of mouth for a while. once you have 3-4 groups with you, make up some flyers or pamplets or something... maybe hold a meeting sometime and invite as many re-enactors from different groups as you can.

Well thanks for that it is much appreciated, does anyone have any suggestions what could be included in the code of conduct.

I think reanactors should allways look authentic.L

roman re-enacting isnt well organized yet. american civil war re-enacting has a huge organization call the ANV for confederate re-enactors on the east coast. they set regulations and solve problems that occur. i estimate less than 1,000 roman re-enactors in the USA but with the civil war, there are easily 150,000+. once rome becomes more popular, they will make a "union"

(mod note: merged two similar topics)

I'd want something that is both more or less historically accurate, and something that impresses and entertains on a visual level.

Maximus, whatever rules you decide on - you have to call the document "the twelve tablets" , give it some instrinsic authority.