UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Religion - Myths in roman writings

Hecto

I am currently starting a research on the use of religion/myths in writings and day-to-day speech(and life) in the late republic and I was wondering if any of you could suggest me a few ancient authors who might have worked and/or described these topics.

For example, I am reading Ceasar's Bello Gallico but there isn't much to work with at the moment. Ceasar makes religious references mostly when he transcripts speeches, which is excellent information but quite thin at the moment. Help to direct my lectures would be greatly appreciated.

If it tickles your curiosity, my work is centered around "social imagination" ("imaginaire social" in french). A concept originating from the philosopher Cornelius Castoriadis but now used in recent literary research (mainly for the 19th century).

Hecto

If you haven't looked at it already you may find some useful research pointers in the two volume 'Religions of Rome: A sourcebook' (1998) by Mary Beard, John A. North, S. R. F. Price.

Possibly too late for your research but there is a new translation of Lucan's Civil War (translated by Matthew Fox) due out in February 2012 from Penguin books and the notes pages it will contain are extensive including several regarding the mythological references within the text.

If you want the full philosophical discussion, take a look at De Natura Deorum (on the nature of the Gods) by Cicero. It's a contemporary Late Roman looking at how various philosophers approach theology - but be warned that it assumes that you know ancient philosophers and the myths very well to start with.

If you don't, then read with something like the Oxford Classical Dictionary at your elbow and be prepared to consult it often.

There's a copy of De Natura Deorum (in English) here

http://thriceholy.net/Texts/Cicero.html