UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
docoflove1974

Info on Minerva/Athena

Partly for personal reasons and partly for research, I'm looking at a compare/contrast of Minerva and Athena. In trolling on Amazon for a starting point (I hate it when my library's database is shut down, albeit temporarily), I found this book:

Wisdom Goddesses by Hephaestus Books

Has anyone heard of this book? There is evidently a similar book on the Virgin Goddesses, also across the ancient religions.

Also, are there any recommendations that you have? It doesn't have to be

I hadn't up to now but from my point of view the author's description is a little concerning citing only 'open source' material from the web.

It gives the strong impression that there is little or no academic basis/ oversight to the work so there is no way of telling how historically accurate or otherwise any of it might be. :unsure:

I have had a different author recommended for 'academic' discussion of ancient beliefs and how they all are interrelated or otherwise which is Marija Gimbutas 'The Living Goddesses'.

The input on Minerva/ Athena is not massive and the subject area is still on the woolly side of things for my tastes :rolleyes: but at least she argues her points of view on the basis of historic and archaeological evidence.

In the title of that book it lists Minerva as a triple goddess? She was never a triple goddess. Sounds like New Age garbage. Don't waste your money.

No, I think that the 'triple goddesses' is in reference to someone else...not exactly sure what, though.

I finally got access to JSTOR late last night, but couldn't find any decent articles on this subject, which doesn't surprise me. I would imagine that what I'm looking for is like an overview of Roman and Greek mythology. I have something around here, but nothing that talked about Minerva much.

I know that, etymologically, there is a Menrva goddess for the Etruscans, and I *think* that's the basis for the Roman goddess Minerva...although I'm not entirely sure of that.

I know that, etymologically, there is a Menrva goddess for the Etruscans, and I *think* that's the basis for the Roman goddess Minerva...although I'm not entirely sure of that.

According to Oxford Classical Dictionary that's a widely accepted theory.

I'm not a scholar, doc, but here are my own observations

1) Athena is very much the martial goddess, connected with (defensive) war and such. In Rome, this aspect was de-emphasized. They had Mars and Bellona as war deities.

2) Athena is the goddess of artisans and craftsmen. In Rome, this is taken to the next level where Minerva becomes the goddess of many guilds of organized labor, thus having a hand in trade.

3) One of Minerva's aspects is Minerva Medica - Minerva patron of healers and doctors. This really wasn't part of her cult in Athens as far as I know.

Here is website that may further help you: http://www.theoi.com/Olympios/Athena.html

GPM, that looks good, and I'll read it more in depth later...thanks!

Ursus, you've hit part of the issue for me...which Minerva? I know that there were a few, and that Athena's warlike nature wasn't generally associated with Minerva. The website you provided also looks like a good source.

Thanks, gentlemen! Something to read this weekend, before finals week hits!

Minerva was not a triple goddess, but she was one of the Capitoline triad.

As ever, Smith is a great source here. Wish someone this century was able to update his epic work.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/moa/ACL3129.0002.001/1100?rgn=full+text;view=image;q1=minerva

Thanks so much, Maty! I agree with Bryaxis, it would take a full team to update such a great and thorough reference.

It would take a comitee Maty, and seeing the review of the OCD4 just published on BMCR I'm not sure I'd like to see such an attempt for fear of the content being damaged...

I've been thinking about buying ODC4 (got the 3rd ed.). How was the review? Or do you have a link?