UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GhostOfClayton

Identify the Ancient God

It always amazes me how archaeologists can take a smale statuette and identify which of Rome's pantheon it was supposed to be. I want to be able to do that, and that's why I'm starting this thread.

This is how it will work:

The Questionner

1. Find the last entry - it should have a number.

2. Add 1 to the number and post your entry, identified by the new number. Your entry will be a representation of an ancient Roman God. If you want to do Greek Gods, start your own thread.

3. There doesn't need to be one at a time until it's guessed, as many of these can be on the go at any one time as we want.

The guesser

1. Choose a picture and post a reply. This should include all of : the reference number of the picture, which God you think it is, and what factors lead you to your decision.

I'll work an example to show you.

Number 1

post-3894-0-32090800-1324034412_thumb.jpg

Number 1

I think this is a statuette of the Goddess Venus. My reasoning is that she has her lady bumps on display.

So - le's throw it open

Number 2

Image can be found here.

DSC01481.JPG

Edited by GhostOfClayton

This might be Bacchus - more particularly Antinoos in the role of Bacchus. My reasoning is as follows.

The style of the statue is Roman, but the footwear is Greek-style. Therefore a statue in the Hellenizing mode, such as Hadrian might have approved of. The physique is compatible with known depictions of Antinoos. The body is somewhat androgynous, as ancient Bacchus was, and the scanty ribbons are typical of a Roman Bacchus rather than the Greek Dionysus who was generally clothed.

If that ruffle around the bowed head is a vine wreath I'd say my identification is firm, but as it is, it's a suggestion.

The problem with many ancient statues is that they are commonly identified through Type, i.e. we have another statue (copy) looking just the same and securely identified in one way or the other. The Berliner Doryphoros by Polykleitos is a good example, it would have been utterly unidentifiable without the numerous other copies that exist.

Number 2

Some very fine reasoning there, Maty. Not only recognising the deity, but postulating it may be Antinous (himself deified) in disguise puts you at the top of the class. I am (as ever) very impressed.

But, to summarise to the level I

Number 1:

Hera. The crown she wears, while larger, reminds me of the one seen by Hera here:

Hera.gif

Admittedly, the nudity bears a bit of a snag with Hera's quality of chastity, but depending on when the statue was created, the artist might not have necessarily cared as much about such things.

Number 2:

I'm curious to know what makes one think this is a god at all and not just a heroic nude of an esteemed young man. I too, GhostofClayton, am often in awe of the abilities of others to pinpoint identities

Number 1a - Hera

Good point, Fulvia (and happy birthday, by the way). So, everybody, what would be the identifiers for Hera? One of those crowns, and modesty?

Number 1:

Hera. The crown she wears, while larger, reminds me of the one seen by Hera here:

Hera.gif

Admittedly, the nudity bears a bit of a snag with Hera's quality of chastity, but depending on when the statue was created, the artist might not have necessarily cared as much about such things.

Do you know which specific piece this is? I mean the original in Altemps or another copy?

Number 1a - Hera

Good point, Fulvia (and happy birthday, by the way). So, everybody, what would be the identifiers for Hera? One of those crowns, and modesty?

Hmm. The diadem points to Hera, but the exposed upper body is a powerful argument against. One of the joys of a large library plus the internet is that I was able to trace a picture of the original statuette, which is indeed from Augusta Raurica, and identified as Venus.

My guess is that there was either supporting evidence (e.g. dedications) or that those making the identification went with the low-slung girdle. Generally, topless goddesses (e.g. Artemis) have their lower garments arranged in a more practical fashion. Incidentally Hera's diadem generally has a veil dangling from the back, for reasons I don't fully comprehend.

Apart from the diadem, giveaways that a statue might be Hera include a lotus-topped staff, and the presence of apples, a lion, peacock or cuckoo. Also Hera is more likely than other goddesses to be seated.

Hmm. The diadem points to Hera, but the exposed upper body is a powerful argument against. One of the joys of a large library plus the internet is that I was able to trace a picture of the original statuette, which is indeed from Augusta Raurica, and identified as Venus.

But the internet is also dangerous; here is a version from Palazzo Altemps where the piece is identified as Hera (with the face of Antonia Minor). Where did you find your information? I'm quite curious to compare the two sources.

Number 1a - Hera

Thank you! :)

Number 1:

Hera.gif

Do you know which specific piece this is? I mean the original in Altemps or another copy?

The source from where I took the picture from wasn't clear but I believe it to be a copy. The bust in Altempts stops at the neck and this one does not.

Number 1a - Hera

Thank you! :)

Number 1:

Hera.gif

The source from where I took the picture from wasn't clear but I believe it to be a copy. The bust in Altempts stops at the neck and this one does not.

Yep, I'm happy to agree that this is probably Hera. My comment was aimed at the original statue by which GhostofClayton started the discussion - which is apparently Venus from Augusta Raurica.

(Which is where I believe the other 'Bacchus' statuette in our discussion also originates ...)

Edited by Maty