UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fulvia

The Landmark Series

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, I will humbly accept a redirection if that's the case :unsure:

The Landmark: Thcydides, Xenophon, Herodotus etc. series of books by Robert B. Strassler I've had my eye on for a little while now and am wondering about opinions on their quality as a source. I haven't really had a chance to sit down with a copy and look through it, but any thoughts on the translation, notes, etc? With Christmas come and gone and gift certificates awaiting to be used, I am eager to know if my high expectation for these guided texts will be upheld.

I have not read them end to end but read parts of each and they all offered excellent quality and the information given in both lateral notes and annexes is of very good quality and does help put things in context for a better reading.

Bryn Mawr Classical Review has only reviewed two of the books : Xenophon (http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu/2011/2011-10-17.html) and Arrian (http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu/2011/2011-05-58.html). I most eagerly await their Polybius !

I have Herodotus and Arrian. This series is extremely well researched and has a very appealing lay-out, extensive but concise foot notes, special commissioned geographical maps, and I could just go on and on praising this marvellous series.

The series has now its own homepage (including sample pages) at www.thelandmarkancienthistories.com

and there is an interesting talk about the concept and ideas behind the series by its founder Robert Strassler here:

Thanks, and the video was intriguing too :)

The Landmark series is excellent. I think they're the gold standard for their particular translations simply because the accompanying notes, maps, appendixes along with the old-fashioned dates w/comment in the margins are all done so well. Very thoughtfully put together.

Some advice; spend the extra money for the hardcover I found the one paperback I have isn't as durable and very prone to getting misshapen.

Absolutely can't wait for Caesar's Commentaries and Polybius' Histories to come out. Strangely they don't have Livy in the works.