UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Siculus

Peter Connolly's "Greece and Rome at War" - new edition/re

Hello fellow Romans

some time ago it seemed that a new edition (or at least reprint) of Peter Connolly's "Greece and Rome at War" was to be expected late 2011/early 2012 (with a foreword by Adrian Goldsworthy) - at least according to Amazon.

This does not seem to be the case any longer. Does anyone have an update on this??

Pen and Sword are currently advertising it for pre-order at

I'm curious to know what's been updated in the lastest edition. I think in the last edition there were only a few changes, mostly involving such minor details as changing the Samnite banners into tunics hung on spears, as what was once believed to be a Samnite Flag depicted on a wall painting might actually have been looted clothing.

It actually goes to show the quality of the scholarship put into the book that only a few changes were necessary, although new editions of old scholarly works sometimes need a complete re-write.

If there have been substantial changes to this New Edition then I wil definately get this one, as Greece and Rome at War is one of the best books ever written on ancient warfare.