UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corax

Poster of Roman gods

I am not sure if this is the right spot for this posting but I sure some kind person will move it if it should be somewhere else!

Help please! I am trying to find a poster of the Roman gods - the sort of thing to stick on a wall to accompany a talk about them. I have tried all the usual places like e bay and Amazon and the only things I can find are aimed at young school children. :(

The kind of thing I am looking for is a list of the Olympians with details of their attributes, with possibly info about other notable deities. Has anyone any ideas as I have already spent hours on the pc looking for something suitable!!

Many thanks in advance..

I'd buy one of those!

Does it need to be poster, or will a high def picture do?

A high def picture would be fine so long as it had all the 12 Olympians and a bit about them all..!

I thought you could buy ANYTHING on the internet..but obviously not....! :D

A high def picture would be fine so long as it had all the 12 Olympians and a bit about them all..!

I thought you could buy ANYTHING on the internet..but obviously not....! :D

When do you need it? I might (big might) be able to work something out for you.

It may not be precisely what you are looking for but have you found this image of the Roman Gods family tree?

Thank you both for your very kind suggestions. I did find something like the

I did manage to get a poster geared to children but it only shows eight deities

I only know two preserved statues of Mars (one in the Louvre one in the Villa of Hadrian).

I would be negligent if I didn't draw your attention to the excellent statue of Mars in the Yorkshire Museum, York. He's so impressive, he acts as their poster-boy.

4478315557_88a47fed69_z.jpg

I only know two preserved statues of Mars (one in the Louvre one in the Villa of Hadrian).

I would be negligent if I didn't draw your attention to the excellent statue of Mars in the Yorkshire Museum, York. He's so impressive, he acts as their poster-boy.

Wow, that's a great one! Where does it come from (original context that is)?

Wow, that's a great one! Where does it come from (original context that is)?

It's dated 300 to 350AD, and was found in the city of York (Eboracum - former Legionary HQ, colonia, and provincial capital of Britannia Secunda). It's thought to be the best example of a Roman statue ever found in Britain. He greets you as you enter the main part of the Yorkshire Museum in York, and, when I met him, I found him to be very impressive.

A quick note about the Yorkshire Museum for Romanophiles. It's not exclusively Roman, but the vast majority is. It's spacious, clean and well laid out, and well worth a visit.

Hi Corax,

Renaissance painters (or close to that period) often depict Olympian gods with their symbols.

So, I suggest to search for "Council of the Gods", "Banquet of the gods" or "Feast of the Gods" and you will find what you are looking for.

For instance the painting by Giovanni Lanfranco(1625). Or the one by Raffaello Sanzio(1518). Or by Monsau.

There must be one to find on the web with enough pixels ......

Or maybe this one: Olympian Gods

Good luck,

Jeroen H de Lange,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Thank you all for your very useful suggestions. I must admit I had not even thought to look for

Even if I do not end up with exactly what I want in the way of a poster, I now have added York to my wish list of places to go and see! I have had a look at the new York museum on line and it sounds well worth a visit. That statue of Mars looks very impressive. How tall is it?

It's pretty much life size - the lady on the photo isn't diminutive, Mars is standfing on a plinth. However, his feet are sadly missing.

Roman things to see in York:

Yorkshire museum

Roman Baths Museum

Roman Column by the minster gates (and also the modern statue of Constantine)

From the city walls near Monk Bar you can see the remains of the east corner tower of the Roman fortress, (the site of York