UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Artimi

Apicius and his cookbook

Artimi, are you thinking of doing a "Julia and Julie" with Apicius's cookbook? Wouldn't that be interesting? Then you could come here and post the results or you could start a blog! :yes:

Not so much a Julia and Julie as gee this might be interesting. I love reading cookbooks, especially older ones without all the warnings and healthy stuff :P

I loved watching the show from GB - I think it was called the Two Fat Ladies??? they went around on a motorcycle with a sidecar and made wonderful food. I think of them even said - you can't have too much butter!.

After watching the video on the those Roman ship sunk, I thought garum might be interesting to attempt, especially after the explanation bit about MSG.

So the translation should be one that did offer the possiblity of my actually cooking something. and no, no dormice will be on the menu!

I can't recommend a translation of the Apicius cookbook but I could recommend a cookbook which contains some of Apicius recipes tried out and modified in a way that you could cook it yourself, i.e. measurements are mentioned etc.

Sally Grainger, Andrew Dalby

"The Classical Cookbook"

In Germany there are several reenactors who tried to cook the Ancient recipes, e.g. Marcus Junkelmann, Edgar Comes etc. but these books are available in German only. But I love to cook Roman food and had last year in November friends over and we have had a nice Roman meal.

And instead of bringing tzatziki or some salad to a barbecue party I bring moretum and everybody likes it. It goes well with modern barbecue.

Two lighthearted but interesting TV programmes about this are :

The Supersizers Go . . . Anvient Rome

and

Heston's Roman Feast

I think I still have the former on DVD if you'd like a copy.

Edited by GhostOfClayton