UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Coriolanus

GhostOfClayton

We don't mention Bill's work much within these forums, despite the significant Roman influences. Let's correct that right here and now. To ease us into this brave new dawn of intellectualism, we should discuss what we think to Mr Ralph Fiennes' most recent work, Coriolanus.

I'm not sure what to make of it yet, but if I can find anyone else prepared to see it, I shall go along and give it a watch. After all, I enjoyed Forbidden Planet. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what to think of this. I haven't seen the film yet, but it seems jarring to have a film based in Ancient Rome being set in modern times with 16th Century English dialogue. I can understand why some Shakespeare plays like Much Ado about Nothing could be set in different time periods, but I never understood the need to set his Historical Plays in other eras.

It almost feels as if Ralph Fiennes has no faith in the story, as if setting it in period costume might bore the audience, so he needs to alter it to make it more palatable to 21st century tastes.