UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Favorite Historical Film

And I enjoyed "Wild at Heart" - the David Lynch film.

Regarding King Arthur - there are bits that I like, mostly involving the guy who played Arthur. He's actually a top notch actor, If you don't believe me - see "The Croupier" he's great in it. I also just liked the scenery, and the Saxon king who was suitably nasty.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for WWII movies, some personal favorites...

The Longest Day... an incredible all-star cast

John Wayne, Hendry Fonda, Eddie Albert, Richard Burton, Paul Anka, Robert Mitchum, Robert Wagner, Sean Connery... just to name a few. And told from multiple perspectives: American (mostly), British, German and a tiny bit of French.

Stalag 17, the serious motivation for 'Hogan's Hero's'

Tora! Tora! Tora! - Something about watching Pearl Harbor recreated gets my patriotic juices flowing especially when Yamamoto utters the now infamous line "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." (Not the exact movie quote as I recall, and this has never been proven to be said historically)

And I enjoyed "Wild at Heart" - the David Lynch film.

Regarding King Arthur - there are bits that I like, mostly involving the guy who played Arthur. He's actually a top notch actor, If you don't believe me - see "The Croupier" he's great in it. I also just liked the scenery, and the Saxon king who was suitably nasty.

I think Clive Owen (arthur) is one of the worst actors i have ever seen.lol

Saving private ryan is a excellent movie,i especially like that southern sniper guy,him who says his prayers as hes shooting germans.lol.

Band of Brothers was really good,The battles impressed me the most.I gave my grandad the box set to watch and he couldnt believe how realistic it looked.

Not really m8 :unsure: .

my favorite actors are Daniel Day Lewis and Gary Oldman,but i think method actors are generally the most believable IMHO.L

Was just thinking, Goodfellas is a historical film of sorts, and if I had to pick a fave, that would be it. Ray Liota giving a good pistol whipping was a moment I'll never forget.

• 2 weeks later...

I myself love the 'Sharpe' series and books. As for actors, Liam Neeson is the best actor ever!

Movies:

Charge of the Light Brigade

Rob Roy

War and Peace (The Russian one, not the dodgey Hollywood version)

A Bridge Too Far

Das Boot

Bloody Sunday

• 5 months later...
I agree with band of brothers - epsecially the episode they liberated the concentration camps

I know this is an old thread but I been trying to catch up since new here.

Band of Brothers has to be my favorite, and that one episode you mentioned really effected me deeply. Well every epsiode did but that one in particular was really heavy.

When it comes to historical series, band of brothers is the best, hands down for me. However, HBO's Rome might come with some compotition at some point or other, unlikely.

I'm not sure if it can be called a historical movie or not but Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail is a hilarious film and brings back laughs no matter how many times I see it.

But if I'm speaking seriously. The actually version of Gladiator, not the TV 14 version, is my favorite just for its great gladiator matches despite some bending of actual history.

• 5 weeks later...

'Airplane!' (and don't call me Shirley)

The spoof of all spoofs, 'Hot Shots Part Deux' is amusing too.

I too like 'Gladiator'. And one of my all time favourites, 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?'

The Lethal Weapon films are crackers too, as are the Die Hards. Indiana Jones films are legendary, the second one is naff though.

And who could forget the original, 'Italian Job'?

Gangs of New York ,because it opened up a piece of history totally unknown to me ( I recommend Luc Santes book Low Life: if anyone imagines drink and drugs are a recent problem then take a look at a copy,the morphine addiction of returned soldiers was something I was unaware of but is totally logical ) .Many years ago I wrote a paper on Ether drinking in 19th Century rural Ireland as a window into a forgotten and consciously supressed part of "popular " history and the widespread nature of narcotic/alcohol use. Sante's book takes this stance and delves into a breathtaking array of social deviance.The film tries its best to get an avalanche of material into context -I suggest it would have been better as an "epic" series.The waistcoats were good.

Gladiator-because at certain points it breathed real life, ok the history was distorted and compacted but it was a work of love( long version is excellent for more intrigue).

The Vikings-because it has every cliche in the book and some more besides( wenching,feasting, roaring ,puking,gouging,VERY EVIL english monarch etcetera etcetera).Ernest Borgnine as Ragnor, even more over the top than Kirk Douglas .

Das Boot-the full tv series, I met a British sub vet the first time it was screened, he was sat near me in a hotel near the British sub yard of Barrow-I was gripped by the film but even more so when he told me that that was exactly his experience apart from being too tired to celebrate surviving a depth charge attack.What guts.

May I add The Wild Bunch as well-I am not a North American so sometimes the pre/revisionist/post western thing eludes me but this is a mighty powerful film about honour and the passing of an era ,these people kill and steal , some are butt ugly (as I understand our American cousins say) but somehow thay are vindicated by righteous deaths .

and Yojimbo- who would not want to be a warrior without peers? and nonchalant as well.