UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Favorite Historical Film

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Althought not real movies, I love every documentary that the Discovery and History Channel has made, especially the dinosaurs and Rome week.

Real Movies:

Gladiator, A Bridge Too Far, Saving Private Bryan, TNT's Julius Caesar( even though they made Caesar look like a wussie in the beginning) and countless other war movies.

I'd also like to recommend , for those who haven't seen them, Glory (1989) and Waterloo (the 1970 Chris Plummer/Rod Steiger and units of the Soviet Army version).

Recently released on DVD, Ridley Scott's The Duelists has a great flavor to it, good dueling scenes, and starring Keith Carradine, Harvey Keitel. Check it out too.

• 8 months later...

Ok, now i know i am somewhat biased, but imo there is no other submarine war movie that comes even close to catch the claustrophobic feeling you get inside a sub then this one...

I got recently hold of the original 6 hour miniseries (it was screened on german and austrian TV as a six hour miniseries before the cut version came onto the big screen... Now if you dont mind subtitles (dont worry you will forget them after a couple of minutes, and a WWII movie were german soldiers are not presented as pure evil but humans like you and me) you wont get a better catch then this one. (btw. the DVD has a english version too, its ok but not as gripping imo then the original german version...)

Oh, and how about the title music, it is by now an all time classic...

in anycase, Das Boot is with Sam Peckinpah`s Cross of Iron the probably best WWII movie of all time...

cheers

viggen

If anyone ever manages to re-master Cross of Iron, with all the lost footage what a great film that would be, the existing film although awesome is a studio hatchet job on the actual Peckinpah project. I understand despite its oblivion elsewhere this is one of the biggest grossing films in German cinematic history. Was it Orson Welles who said it was the greatest anti-war film of all time?

I always liked "The Last Emperor". It's the story of the last Emperor of the Qing Dynasty Pu Yi who died in 1967. Was made with the assistance of the Chinese government and is filmed in the forbidden city. Really interesting for the history and the sets are beautifull. It's pretty accurate from what I gather.

I always liked "The Last Emperor". It's the story of the last Emperor of the Qing Dynasty Pu Yi who died in 1967. Was made with the assistance of the Chinese government and is filmed in the forbidden city. Really interesting for the history and the sets are beautifull. It's pretty accurate from what I gather.

If you can ever get this ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0848813...ce&n=266239

read it , this is Peter O'Tooles charachter in the film- I had a paperback copy in HK , I cant believe its so pricey!

For some reason Viggen's last post managed to remind me about one of my favorites; different world war but still Germany:

Blue Max with George Peppard, James Mason & Ursula Andress...

:ph34r:

I think I just got a double feature line-up for this weekend (after kids are down). Blue Max followed by Paths of Glory.

Another possible pairing, Tunes of Glory and The Hill.