UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ursus

Religion Of Egypt

Rameses are the Armenians Kopts ??

I know that they're very close to the orthodoxy but I'm not quite sure..

Thanks !

No, they're not Kopts. They're are almost like monophysites but really not the same doctrine. Their sect is called the Armenian Apostolic Church. They are more close to the Catholic Church than the Orthodox. A substantial number of Armenians are Catholic too, which is why the Pope long ago established the Armenian Catholic Church, which is considered and Eastern-rite Church under rule of the Pope. Oddly enough, well not really considering the Catholic Church's history, their Church has two leaders called Catholicos of All Armenians and Catholicos of Holy See of Cilicia. The reason why they are divided is because of the relocations of the Church headquarters under Ottoman Rule and was further reinforced during the period in which Armenia was part of the Soviet Union.

Rameses are the Armenians Kopts ??

I know that they're very close to the orthodoxy but I'm not quite sure..

Thanks !

No, they are not. The conception maybe that both of us are Oriental Orthodoxy in the same time period. The Kopts were the Greek word for Egyptians. It was dated back to the time of the pharaoh.

Armenians, are not so much more Catholic, it is that they are more 'wide open,' if you'd like. They are not more close to the Catholic. Georgians, Russians, and Turks were strictly for the Orthodoxy religion. Armenia was under the heavy influence of the strict Russian Orthodoxy. The double-sided eagle represents the Eastern Orthodoxy and Western Catholocism. The right compimnents the Byzantium empire, while the left is the Roman.

I hope that answered some questions. Just remember Kopts are just another name by the Greeks to refer to the 'original Egyptian.'

I was reading the other day of some of the hybrid gods that existed in Alexandria around the late Ptolemy dynasty onwards, those mixtures of Macedonian, Egyptian, Greek etc. gods to make things like your Zeus-Osiris-etc. etc. gods. It really is indicative of the crossroads of religion there eh? Does anyone else know of any of the other hybrid gods?

There are some interesting Hellenistic Hybrids, often with royal women. Several Egyptian queens become associated with Aphrodite and receive cults as goddesses sharing the temple. Some examples are Berenike-Aphrodite, and Arsinoe-Aphrodite. They appear as combined dieties in both Egyptian texts and Greek texts.

The typical Greek custom when introduced to foriegn gods was to assign them to one or more Greek god, this happens with all the Egyptian gods in Herodotus and is adopted by the Romans. I'm not sure if you would count them as true hybrid gods though, they do in the roman period begin to pick up aspects of the different gods they are associated with, Isis (as mentioned above) does this in particular.

Additionally, most Egyptian gods come to be associated with different Egyptian gods, especially those that relate to the Pharaoh.

Actually a lot of the Greek religious and mathematical ideas came frome Egypt, to Greece, to Rome, to Europe. The Egyptian trinity of Isis, Osiris, and Horus were represented in Greece by Demeter, Dionysos, and Apollo respectively. Pythagoras was a pupil of the Egyptian priests, where he learned mathematics and religion.

Greek mercanaries and emigrants swayed Egypt more in the way of Greece. I think Egypt gave Greece the foundation of math and science, and the Greeks beeing very clever expanded. For example the mathematical equation of Π was described in Egypt as 3.16 later corrected by Greece as 3.14.

Here are some sites that prove it:

Egyptian Numerals to Greek

Egyptian Heiroglyphs Influence Latin and Geek