UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest newton

Ferrymen

Guest newton

can someone explian the tale of the ferryman? the coins over the eyes and stuff.

much thanks

The story of the ferryman is quite simple. When you decended to the underworld you needed to pay the ferryman to have him take you across the River Styx without the coin you were stuck on the wrong side of the river.

What needed to happen is when you are buried or burned on the funeral pyre a coin is put into each eye, and then the events that I described would occur. If you did not have the money you would be stuck roaming around until you got the two coins. This is not my area of expertise though, so if anyone has anything to add feel free.

"entrance to hell?"

BTW, the Greek underworld has none of the connotations of the Abrahamic hell, and neither Charon nor Hades is anything approaching a Satan figure.

I too believe the coin was placed on the tongue of the deceased, but i have heard of a few instances of the eyes. however, i don't personnally believe that this was the norm by any standards.

the ferryman charon needed one obol as payment to cross the river styx on his boat. beyond the river was not simply heaven or hell, but there were different areas which were occupied by a range of different people. there were those of untimely death(ie children), those who committed suicide, those who died of natural means, the banks of elysium which initiates of the Elusynian mysteries lived on.

vergil describes this scene in the underworld as the house of pluto with a garden of monsters and evils followed by different places for different souls.

It was also believed possible for heroes or gods in mythology to venture into the underworld and return safely with sacrifices, the "golden bough" Aeneas used and an obol. Aeneas is described in the Aeneid as managing to go down following strict religious code and rules. Plays like The Frogs show Dionysus venture down to the underworld in search of tragic talent. (very funny)

I'd suggest reading vergil's Aeneid VI and Euripides' The Frogs.