UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corax

Things to see on Hadrian's wall

I am planning to have few days "on the Wall" on my way back south at the end of March and wondered if anyone could suggest some new things to see. On past occasions I have been to Chesters, Great Chesters, Vindolanda, Birdoswald, Carrawburgh, Housesteads, Corbridge, the Roman Army museum, and the Great North Museum in Newcastle. I shall be based at Corbridge and wondered if anyone could suggest some new Roman-related spots to visit. I think Arbeia is closed at that time. Possibly Carlisle??

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Thanks.

If Arbeia is closed (make sure, because it's well worth dropping by), start at Wallsend, and make sure you get to see the reproduction military Bath-house, and wall (across the main road).

If you're in a car, and you have a spare hour, have a look at the Vallum crossing and temple in Benwell, and maybe even the turret at Denton.

The stretch of curtain wall at Hedon on the Wall is worth a look if passing.

Again, if you're in a car, park up beside the access to Brunton Turret (tallest surviving turret), and have a look, and then walk (you'll need nearly on hour for this in total) around to the bridge footings at Chesters (assuming you didn't do this when you visited last time - few people do).

If you're willing to walk a mile or two, you can park up at Greencarts crossroads and walk west to the Blackcarts turret (again, less than an hour there and back.)

From Housesteads, walking west as far as Steel Rigg (or even Cawfileds Craggs) you're getting the best scenery and remains along the whole wall. If you really know your onions, you can walk much of it along the fairly flat Military Way, but then you lose the views, and have to know when to divert to the main path to see the remians.) You can then catch the AD123 bus back (or park up at one end, catch the bus, and walk back to your car.)

If you fancy an evening stroll from Corbridge, wander along the south bank of the river from the car park to see the bridge footings (about an hour).

Another well worth while bus stretch is from Greenhead (or Gilsland depending on the bus) to Birdoswald, taking in Poltross Burn Milecastle. Some excellent remains on that stretch.

On the way back from Birdoswald, don't forget Pike Hill Signal tower and Bankshead Turret. Also, much missed by the tourists id the curtain wall stretch at Hare Hill (just west of Banks). Last, and tallest remaining stretch.

The only thing I'd recomend beyond that is Tullie House Museum in Carlisle itself. Very good museum with a newly opened Roman Gallery.

Feel free to PM me for details.

Thank you very much, Ghost, for those additional ideas. Last summer I did visit Brunton Turret and part of the Steel Rigg walk and I hope to pursuade my friend to go back to that bit of the wall - weather permitting. But thanks for reminding me about the bridge footings as I have only ever seen them from the bath house at Chesters. I have only been to the Birdoswald part once and it sounds as though there is much more to been seen there too.

Can I pick your brain again to explain how to reach the bridge footings in Corbridge as that is where we will be staying?

Will definitely put Tullie House on my list too as it is good to have something indoors to do in case the weather is dire!

Many thanks!

To reach the Corbridge bridge footings, cross the main bridge over the Tyne to find a car park on your right. From there, aquire the river bank, and walk west for around a kilometer (maybe less). You won't miss it.

If you visit the bridge footing at Chesters, the best place to park is near the roundabout on the Bellingham Road. Walk back over the road bridge on the right hand side to find a small gate on the right. At the footings, look out for the phallus on the north side, quite low down.

To complete the picture, there's the bridge footings at Willowford (nr Birdoswald). These are the most interesting of the three. To reach them, walk east from Birdoswald (keep to the right of the wall and look out for another phallus) to Milecastle 49 (Harrow's Scar - itself in good nick). Turn right (and steeply downhill), before cutting left on the National Trail to cross a modern footbridge. The footings are a few metres further along.

To reach the Corbridge bridge footings, cross the main bridge over the Tyne to find a car park on your right. From there, aquire the river bank, and walk west for around a kilometer (maybe less). You won't miss it.

If you visit the bridge footing at Chesters, the best place to park is near the roundabout on the Bellingham Road. Walk back over the road bridge on the right hand side to find a small gate on the right. At the footings, look out for the phallus on the north side, quite low down.

To complete the picture, there's the bridge footings at Willowford (nr Birdoswald). These are the most interesting of the three. To reach them, walk east from Birdoswald (keep to the right of the wall and look out for another phallus) to Milecastle 49 (Harrow's Scar - itself in good nick). Turn right (and steeply downhill), before cutting left on the National Trail to cross a modern footbridge. The footings are a few metres further along.

Excellent! I hope to try to track down some of these next month, or failing that, later in the year.

Am very grateful for the details as some Roman remains can be hard to find. This is from someone who spend a Saturday evening (dusk) in down town Cologne looking for the appropriately named Ubi monument!

Many thanks! :)

Excellent! I hope to try to track down some of these next month, or failing that, later in the year.

Am very grateful for the details as some Roman remains can be hard to find. This is from someone who spend a Saturday evening (dusk) in down town Cologne looking for the appropriately named Ubi monument!

Many thanks! :)

Thank you, Ghost, for your suggestions of things to see on the Wall. Am just back from there and managed to see the Corbridge bridge footings, the bridge footings at Willowford and best of all, the ones at Chesters. What a brilliant and peaceful spot! At the time Chesters itself was not open so it was good to see the bath houses from across the river without anyone being there.

By chance I managed to be at Housesteads on Friday before the official opening of the new museum. You probably know that there was a special opening for volunteers and guides etc but they let me have a look round the museum. Definitely worth a visit in its revamped form and there seemed to me to be more finds on show than previously.

Also had an unexpected trip to Segedunum and saw the reproduction bath houses based on Chesters.

So, thank you again for your suggestions and the others will be useful for my return trip - I hope - in June.

Glad you had a good time. I'm back there in June myself - look out for an overweight grey-haired tour guide!