UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Big Freeze

Kosmo

For the last 3 weeks, temperature during the day are around -10 C and -15 C during the night while everything is covered in almost half a meter of snow. Water pipes in my main bathroom were broken by the frozen water inside them, so tomorrow plumbers are going to change them (and wreck my bathroom walls) What happened to global warming? It feels more like an Ice Age.

I wonder how Romans enjoyed the winters around here. With the Danube frozen solid they could have expected some uninvited fur-clad guests for a snow fight to alleviate boredom.

Common misconceptions 101 include the 'fact' that 'Global Warming' means that everywhere will get warmer. Actually all it means is that mean temperatures across the planet will increase but some places will see more frequent droughts while other may see more severe and/or frequent winter storms.

Looks like unfortunately this time you have got the short end of the spongeum and are in a cycle of more severe weather. Having hit two bad patches of black ice within a few miles when driving in the early evening at the weekend and temperatures plummeting to -10oC and higher at night time you have my sympathies.

As to how the Roman's coped a few sharp skirmishes may have gotten the blood flowing for a few minutes but longer term other options may have been preferable. Contrary to what I was told in school a good few years back the Vindolanda tablets point out all too clearly that at least in northern Britain the Roman's were not totally unaware of the benefits of both socks and underwear. I am sure that those on the Danube were also not averse to pulling on the winter woolies and stoking up the fire as much as possible. :P

For the last 3 weeks, temperature during the day are around -10 C and -15 C during the night while everything is covered in almost half a meter of snow. Water pipes in my main bathroom were broken by the frozen water inside them, so tomorrow plumbers are going to change them (and wreck my bathroom walls) What happened to global warming? It feels more like an Ice Age.

I wonder how Romans enjoyed the winters around here. With the Danube frozen solid they could have expected some uninvited fur-clad guests for a snow fight to alleviate boredom.

I was wondering how things were going over there. Frozen water pipes? Something we live with every winter here, but about 4yrs. ago I had my water pipes changed from the ancient galvanized to copper and moved them away from the stone foundation of the house and had them run along the center of the basement ceiling. Then I wrapped foam insulation around them and especially the inside lines from the well to the water pump and water tank. BIG difference. The hot water line to the kitchen sink still freezes in single digit temps or when really cold wind blows on that side of the house but doesn't stay that way long.

Anyhow, sorry for your bad luck because it's always big $$$ for those type of fixes.

Not to be disrespectful to the awfulnesses of British weather but I doubt there are prolonged periods of winter like this on Hadrian's Wall:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17036988

The pipes are temporarily fixed, so now I can shower in my own bathroom. I will be cautious with my comments on global warming, so I don't end up showering in prison :lol:

Not to be disrespectful to the awfulnesses of British weather but I doubt there are prolonged periods of winter like this on Hadrian's Wall:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17036988

The pipes are temporarily fixed, so now I can shower in my own bathroom. I will be cautious with my comments on global warming, so I don't end up showering in prison :lol:

WOW. :blink: