UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Victrix

What Helmet Is That?

Looks like a Niederbieber type from the 2nd Century CE. It might also be a cavalry helm from the same time period. The key for me is the short neck protection and the large cheek pieces.

The photo wasn't clear enough, did it have a rib in the front above the brow? If not, then it might be an auxilia helm from that time period. They usually had much less elaborate equipment than the regular legionaires. It might even be a chariot helm, but that is a very outside guess. I really think it's a cavalry helm though.

Of course a real expert may come and prove me completely wrong here :lol: , so YMMV with my answer.

Looks like a Niederbieber type from the 2nd Century CE. It might also be a cavalry helm from the same time period. The key for me is the short neck protection and the large cheek pieces.

Hmm, doesn't look like a Niederbieber to me. The cheeks don't wrap the face in the characteristic Niederbieber fashion, the brow rim isnt as prominent as usuaully depicted on Niederbieber helmets, and while you are correct that the neck guard didn't jut out as far on the Niederbieber style as it had in previous styles (Niederm

These are two different helmets. The evolution of helmet development is possible track on them.

First helmet

It is Italic imperial helmet.They manufactured from iron. They had obvious gallic features on it. There are wide neck-flap, a special kind of plate-cheek, peak in a forward part of a helmet and the ledges protecting ears. All these innovations appeared gradually, and together they are present on helmets at the beginning of 2 CE

Second helmet

If the image of a helmet is transferred without distortions it is italic helmet not later the middle of 1 CE. They manufactured from bronze.