UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Geranio

Was Caligula the First Living Princeps to Appear Radiate on Roman Impe

I believe Caligula was the first living Princeps to appear radiate, before Nero?

One final aspect of the

seated figure of Caligula on the consensv dupondius is worth examining. Could Caligula

have been the first living princeps to ever appear radiate on Roman coinage? B.E. Levy.

in her article entitled "Caligula's Radiate Crown," finds traces of a radiate crown on two

pieces: One in the Princeton University Library; the other in a private collection. Some

scholars believe this theory strengthens the argument that the seated figure is Augustus

and not Caligula. H.M. Von Kaenal advanced this interpretation of the dupondii this

way: His first argument is that on some of the reverses you could identify Caligula's

features; secondly, that the reverse legend is suited to certain events of his accession. As

Dio tells us, the event was altered by an eruption into the senate-house of equites et

populus,40 and in Von Kaenal's view it is to this, and not the award of an honorific

statue, that the legend CONSENSV SENAT ET EQ ORDIN P Q R must refer.41 H.

Kuthmann brings even stronger evidence of the reverse type not being Augustus when he

suggests that on pre-Flavian coins the curule chair is the seat of the living princeps, while

that of DIVUS Augustus is a throne.42 This is strong evidence that the seated figure is

that of Caligula. (Interestingly, Kuthmann identifies the seated figure as Claudius.)

Levy brings further evidence to light when she suggests that the bronze provincial issues

of at least three or four mints show Caligula with radiate attribution (one from

Alexandria, but this issue may represent Helios.)43 Another issue from the province of Asia

shows a spikey Hellenistic crown.44 Even stronger evidence that the radiate crown

did exist can be seen on consensv dupondii , where the die engraver shortened the vertical

bar on the T in ET to accommodate the crown, while the entire letter T is slightly

raised in the second Princeton piece. Levy mentions that the radiate crown is neglected

in descriptions which follow illustrations in catalogues. In specifically looking for the

radiate crown on the consensv dupondii, there are at least three issues that have been

found via the art trade.45 It has been suggested that the radiate crown is occasionally

used on Roman coinage to distinguish a newly elevated Emperor. Thus, the Roman

radiate crown was not a true piece of insignia: Its meaning was flexible and its use optional?

Caligula Seated with traces of radiate crown?

Library Catalog Entry

Main Author:

Geranio, Joe.

Title:

Portraits of Caligula : the seated figure? / Joe Geranio.

Host Publication:

In: The Celator Vol. 21, no. 9 (Sep 2007), p. 6-26 : ill.

Edited by Joe Geranio

I believe Caligula was the first living Princeps to appear radiate, before Nero?

Main Author:

Geranio, Joe.

Title:

Portraits of Caligula : the seated figure? / Joe Geranio.

Host Publication:

In: The Celator Vol. 21, no. 9 (Sep 2007), p. 6-26 : ill.

Wow. I didn't see this post until right before bedtime, so I will only give a quick impression with my exhausted eyes for now.

First, let me say that you have some great coins and images on your flicker account.

Second, I would like to see both sides of the coin before commenting. Could this just be the god Helios on the reverse?

Third, I'm not so sure the marks above the head represent a radiate (spikey crown) bust, anyway. Could these marks just be a die or strike defect?

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

I am not sure your coin is a radiate (spikey crown) seated image. (The DIVVS AVGUSTVS side seems to be a radiate bust, however.) Here's a very similar coin:

post-3665-0-91482800-1329790049_thumb.jpg

DIVUS AUGUSTUS. Struck under Caligula, 37-41 AD. Dupondius (16.80gm). Radiate head of Divus Augustus left / Caligula(?), laureate and togate, seated left on curule chair, holding branch in right hand. RIC I 56(Gaius); BMCRE 88 (Caligula); Cohen 87. Good VF, glossy olive green and brown patina (Image from Wildwinds.com)

I guess it comes down to two things:
Whether the seated image is, in fact, Caligula and whether the seated image on your example is a radiate head.

Your post is very thought provoking.

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy