UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Adonnus

Roman Empire today...

Are there any political movements or parties in Latium or in Italy that support the recreation of the Roman Empire? As absurd as it might sound I have seen other political movements elsewhere, such as in Germany.

I doubt that anyone realistically intends to build a new Roman Empire - but there are plenty of people who would want an empire that drew on its principles or public perception. This is mostly because human beings seem to have a fascibnation with glorious emopires - it carries connotations of success, prosperity, safety in numbers, and military virtue, all of which appeal on an instinctive level.

Apparently the Lega Nord per l'Indipendenza della Padania (English: North League for the Independence of Padania) political party has ambitions to carve out their own mini-Empire of the so-called Padania (that is, the regions of Northern Italy), Switzerland, Austria, Bavaria and Savoy.

Mind you I'm not sure how extensive the desire to create a separate identity is shared by the areas it wishes to encompass. :unsure:

Benito Mussolini want to build a new roman empire even said that Italy would become new roman empire

Benito Mussolini want to build a new roman empire even said that Italy would become new roman empire

Very true, and you can still the traces all over Italy, especially in Rome itself (fasces, the removed empire map, EUR, Foro Italico etc.).

You want to build a new roman empire, but It's not joke. roman culture was very success and great..But why you want to build this empire.

I believe that there is a small group of Roman enthusiasts called Nova Roma who would like to recreate some aspects of Roman civilisation in the modern world. They meet up in groups where they speak latin, take part in Roman religious ceremonies, and also dress in traditional Roman clothes. The emphasis is on the Republic though, rather than the Principate/Dominate eras.

They have a website here:

Nova Roma

When Persian Empire was restored after 500 years, why Roman Empire shouldn't? :D But I think it's little impossible in this time. It's not good age for restore any imperium. I read articles that European union is something like modern Roman Empire, but there is lot of differencies. New Roman Empire should be restored from Italy, but in this case Italy should be strong (very strong) european superpower, what is not. Germany has better economy, Britain has better (maybe) army etc. But in future things can be changed.

These days it's called the EU 🙂 A highly unstable formation of very diverse multi-cultured micro-states built on the principle of federalism (which replaced the principles of democratic centralism in some of its member states). It has already started to crumble with the departure of Britain and the war in Ukraine. The EU claims to be governed as democracy (although British didn't even choose their PM directly in elections).

I don't personally like the EU but your description of it warrants some critique. Highly unstable? A formation of micro-states? It is, at least for now, a bloc of twenty seven nation states that has a democratic bureaucracy based in Brussels and won a Nobel Prize for Peace. At least two more states are working toward joining the Union. The United Kingdom left the EU as a result of a referendum within the country, a democratic choice, not because the EU was considered wobbly in any way.

European Union - Wikipedia