UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gaius Valerius

Tiberius Graccus

I got stumped in class today when a student asked about Ti Graccus. Some sources state that he was of patrician stock, but gained his power as Tribune of the Plebs. This of course implies that he was of plebian,not patrician stock as patricians could not run for tribune of the plebs. Looking at the various sources, I admit that I come away uncertain, especially after looking at the bio of of Ti Graccus the elder. My take is that yes, he was a highly connected member of the plebian class, and thus did have influence in the Senate. But I am having trouble tracing this down. Any thoughts?

Not sure how easy it would be to get hold of Stateside, but this DVD has a really first rate dramatisation of TG's story. Maybe not in the detail you need for class, but to help you understand the contexts, it would be just the ticket.

It will also point you in the direction of the best primary sources.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

The Sempronii Gracchi were indisputably plebeians, but they were a powerful and influential noble family nevertheless. The Licinian-Sextian law of 367BCE opened the higher offices (consulship, censorship) and the Ogulnian Law (300BCE) openened most priesthoods to plebeians. A Sempronius was elected consul for 304BCE and a Sempronius Gracchus was consul in 238BCE. Tiberius Gracchus father was consul twice (177 & 163), censor in 169 and celebrated two triumphs. Sempronii could boast 11 consulships and 4 censorships by 133BCE.

The patricians were a group of families (only 22 were still active politically in the third century BCE) who, traditionally, were the descendants of the original councilors chosen by the kings. But political power and social distinction was not reserved to them after 367BCE. Many were still rich and influential, but many plebeian families equalled or exceded them in wealth, authority and power. Only the office of interrex and a few priesthoods were reserved for patricians by the second century BCE.

Edited by Pompieus

The Sempronii Gracchi were indisputably plebeians, but they were a powerful and influential noble family nevertheless. The Licinian-Sextian law of 367BCE opened the higher offices (consulship, censorship) and the Ogulnian Law (300BCE) openened most priesthoods to plebeians. A Sempronius was elected consul for 304BCE and a Sempronius Gracchus was consul in 238BCE. Tiberius Gracchus father was consul twice (177 & 163), censor in 169 and celebrated two triumphs. Sempronii could boast 11 consulships and 4 censorships by 133BCE.

The patricians were a group of families (only 22 were still active politically in the third century BCE) who, traditionally, were the descendants of the original councilors chosen by the kings. But political power and social distinction was not reserved to them after 367BCE. Many were still rich and influential, but many plebeian families equalled or exceded them in wealth, authority and power. Only the office of interrex and a few priesthoods were reserved for patricians by the second century BCE.

Thanks guys for your thoughts. This was what my research showed as well. Thanks again.