UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
barca

The Hunger Games

Has anyone seen this movie?

http://www.thehungergamesmovie.com/

The roman names, the gladiatorial combat, the decadent city dwellers, and the hard working impoverished provincials, all feed into the general public's perception of ancient Rome. That's where the similarities end. To me it seemed more analogous to modern reality shows such as Survivor.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I haven't seen the movie yet but I've read the books and the Roman references are quite obvious starting with the name of the fictional country, Panem.

I've read the books and seen the movie, The similarities all be it futuristic ones to ancient Rome are pretty obvious, names, gladitorial type entertainment for the masses, the all powerful leaders lording it over the conquered. In no way do these similarities cheapen or affect the flow of the story. It's a great film and even better book well worth a read and view.

This film has been a Box Office smash though, I'd read about it but I haven't seen it so I was unfamiliar with the Roman themes. Apparently Disney's recent flop John Carter also had several Roman themes as well inclduing the ever famous Gladiatorial fights.