UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

3,000-year-old treasure found in Fermanagh bog

The BBc is carrying this report on the discovery and recent identification of an extremely rare torc found in County Fermanagh.

A 3,000-year-old piece of gold jewellery found in a bog in County Fermanagh has been declared an item of treasure.

At an unusual hearing before the coroner, the gold torc was described as a rare object of extreme importance.

It was found by Ronnie Johnston using a metal detector in Corrard, near Belle Isle estate in 2009.

It dates from 1300-1100 BC and would probably have been worn around the waist.

It is made of 87% gold and 11% silver and will now go to the Treasure Valuation Committee at the British Museum in London who will determine its value.

It will then be up to the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure to secure funding to purchase the object in order to put it on public display

...continued

They seem to be making the assumption that it was worn around the waist from it's size. Not having seen any dimensions for it I couldn't be certain but I agree that getting it on and off would have been some operation.

However once it was on - providing you weren't in the regular habit of putting on several pounds of weight I suppose it would have acted more or less like a belt albeit a somewhat heavier than normal one which may in turn have had medical implications. :unsure: