UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
guy

Diana Lucifera

Most of us on this forum don't collect coins. Many of us, however, appreciate the insights and understanding that studying numismatics can bring to our appreciation of Ancient Roman culture and history.

This coin presented by Matt at cointalk.com is an excellent example of a coin that sheds light on a little known (for me, at least) deity of Roman mythology--Diana Lucifera, the bearer of light:

post-3665-0-85473400-1333892059_thumb.jpg

Lucilla (164 - 183 A.D.)

AR Denarius

O: LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F, Draped bust right.

R: DIANA LVCIFERA, Diana standing left holding torch with both hands.

Rome 17.5mm 3.4g RIC 762 RSC 14 Scarce

I don't know if this background information is correct, however:

Diana was the goddess of the moon and was often called Diana Lucifera, Diana the Bringer of Light. The Greeks knew her as Artemis, the twin sister of Apollo, and daughter of Zeus and Leto. She was born under Mount Cynthus in Delos and hence was also called Cynthia and Delia. She was the goddess of hunting, carried a bow and quiver like her brother, and was especially fond of music and dance. Diana was never conquered by love, and submitted to no man, hence she was the goddess of a "chaste" moon and, except for her family, tolerated only female companions. Her priestesses were all chaste...

http://grammatici.narod.ru/kalendae/may26.htm

post-3665-0-50022100-1333893901_thumb.jpg

Another coin with her image:

post-3665-0-92137400-1333894799_thumb.jpg

Some other helpful information:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=diana lvcifera

Any other information would be appreciated.

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

I only knew her as Diana without the lucifera,

http://www.unrv.com/culture/major-roman-god-list.php

With two other deities she made up a trinity: Egeria the water nymph (her servant and assistant midwife), and Virbius (the woodland god).

...any coins with her and egeria and virbius around?

...any coins with her and egeria and virbius around?

Thank you for the reply. I'm looking....

More on Diana Lucifera:

Diana is the Roman Goddess of nature, fertility, hunting, crossroads, and the moon. She was originally worshipped by the Latins and Sabines as a Goddess of the moon and of forests; her worship was brought to Rome by the Etruscan King Servius Tullius in the sixth century BCE. He built a temple to her on the Aventine Hill, and she was worshipped mainly by the plebeians and the slaves. The two main centers of her worship were at Aricia in Latium and in the forests of Mount Tifata near Capua. Here, she was called upon by women to bless them with fertility and easy childbirths. Diana

post-3665-0-10866900-1333915816_thumb.jpg

post-3665-0-04696700-1333915834_thumb.jpg

Edited by guy

As a matter of interest the Lucifera bit is the same as the 'Lucifer' aka Satan, and Old Nick.

The name means 'light-bringer'. Lucifer is so called because he was the morning star, son of the morning (Isaiah 14.12), and Artemis/Diana, because she included being a moon goddess in her job portfolio. (With the feminine 'a' ending for the 'fera' part.)

I saw a program not long ago about the history of the devil. Interesting stuff though in all hionesty I've forgotten most of it. The issue is rather confused because Eve was apparently not Adam's first girlfriend. Lilith was, and she took one look at her new partner and told God in no uncertain terms she wasn't dating him. For some reason Lilith (you might want to guess why) has been acossiated with the devil ever since.

I must admit I've always thought of Satan in the same terms as most people do (ie a male demonic adversary) but the female association has a very strong historical link it seems. Didn't mean to sound sexist by the way - but girls, face it, sometimes you make our lives hell :D

I saw a program not long ago about the history of the devil. Interesting stuff though in all hionesty I've forgotten most of it. The issue is rather confused because Eve was apparently not Adam's first girlfriend. Lilith was, and she took one look at her new partner and told God in no uncertain terms she wasn't dating him. For some reason Lilith (you might want to guess why) has been acossiated with the devil ever since.

I must admit I've always thought of Satan in the same terms as most people do (ie a male demonic adversary) but the female association has a very strong historical link it seems. Didn't mean to sound sexist by the way - but girls, face it, sometimes you make our lives hell :D

Didn't someone somewhere say there's a fine line between heaven and hell? We wouldn't be women unless we brought you guys to both places. :)

I love Artemis, she is my namesake and she was born on Mt. Cynthera. I love the moon, it's beautiful and a few years back, I had the strongest desire to learn how to shoot a composite bow after researching it, but there was no place of instruction to be found close to where I live. I'm serious. Kind of eerie, huh? LOL

Cinzia (Cynthia)