UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr Garry

Roman Emperors poster-size timechart: free to download

Hi All:

For the sheer pleasure of it, I made an A1 (24x36") timechart of the Roman emperors. Downloadable for free from http://charts.archsoc.com.

Commments and criticisms welcomed, especially about the information it conveys, the general layout, and whether the chart is clear or not. I don't claim to be a graphic designer, so detailed critiques of my font choice, colour selections, and so on will go over my head.

(Not sure which forum to post this to, and I avoided the Trajan's Market, since I'm not actually selling anything. Apologies if I have the wrong forum. I've also cross-posted this to the Republic forum, for my 2nd chart about the Roman republic, available from the same address)

For an A1 sized piece of paper it's brilliant. Information is tight and compact, and the diagrams are pretty good.

Nice work!

Ta muchly Centurion-Macro. It was a lot of fun to make it, and it helped me sort out the Valerians from the Valens from the Valentinians. I'll keep refining it through time. I hope other readers of this forum find it a useful aide memoire.

Very nice work!

Very well done! I would just to see such a time line for the Greek world as well. I'll be back with some comments later!

(Ps. I'm moving this to Trajans market, leaving a link in the original forum, no harm done!)

Excellent Work, it's colourful and well illustrated - just the sort of thing you might find in a Penguin Atlas of Ancient Rome or a similar book. Very good job!

Commments and criticisms welcomed, especially about the information it conveys, the general layout, and whether the chart is clear or not. I don't claim to be a graphic designer, so detailed critiques of my font choice, colour selections, and so on will go over my head.

What a great reference work!

My initial problem is the placement of the subtitles " Emperors of the West and Emperors of the East." You may want to better clarify the subdivisions. I won't make the demarcation until AFTER Theodosius I.

I also have other minor questions such as placement of timelines as "old republican families no longer relevant" or "Traditional Roman

legislative assemblies dissolved." I have a few other small questions.

I appreciate your time and effort, however. Well done!

Maybe the higher ups at UNRV can work with you into turining this into a profitable venture. :lol:

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

What a great reference work!

My initial problem is the placement of the subtitles " Emperors of the West and Emperors of the East." You may want to better clarify the subdivisions. I won't make the demarcation until AFTER Theodosius I.

I also have other minor questions such as placement of timelines as "old republican families no longer relevant" or "Traditional Roman

legislative assemblies dissolved." I have a few other small questions.

I appreciate your time and effort, however. Well done!

Maybe the higher ups at UNRV can work with you into turining this into a profitable venture. :lol:

guy also known as gaius

Hi there Gaius/Guy:

Thanks for that. Yeah, those two big west/east titles at the top worry me too. I'll have to see if I can re-arrange them.

As to the general text comments (even more opinionated in my Republic chart), I suppose my stance was influenced by the much-missed Colin McEvedy's wonderful Penguin atlases, and by Mike Duncan's THoR podcasts: facts made fun by quirks, I'd call them.

Every text comment has a source somewhere behind it, although I've forgotten most of them. The comment "old republican families no longer relevant" is at the quirks end of the spectrum: it's my gloss on H. Flowers' Republics of Rome, p 179; while "Traditional Roman legislative assemblies dissolved" is at the facts end: AFAIK Tiberius and the Senate did in fact do that.

Thanks for your post. The more inaccuracies you and other readers of this forum can find in the chart, the better it will get.

Garry

[Thanks for your post. The more inaccuracies you and other readers of this forum can find in the chart, the better it will get.

Garry

Garry: I think most of us here really appreciate anything that stimulates interest and study in Ancient Roman history...and your poster does exactly that. Thank you.

I also appreciate your willingness to allow constructive criticism of your work. The study of history, like any science, should be open to assessment and review. Trust me, I've made more than a few controversial posts that didn't always win universal approval.

Thank you, again.

guy also known as gaius

Too many great posters, too few walls!