UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Republic poster-size timechart: free to download

Dr Garry

Hi All:

For the sheer pleasure of it, I made an A1 (24x36") timechart of the Roman republic, showing all Rome's major wars, the major players, and as many events as i could fit in. Downloadable for free from http://charts.archsoc.com.

Commments and criticisms welcomed, especially about the information it conveys, the general layout, and whether the chart is clear or not. I don't claim to be a graphic designer, so detailed critiques of my font choice, colour selections, and so on will go over my head.

(Not sure which forum to post this to, and I avoided the Trajan's Market, since I'm not actually selling anything. Apologies if I have the wrong forum. I've also cross-posted this to the Imperial forum, for my 1st chart about the Roman emperors, available from the same address)

Thanks; very impressive! The Empire chart displays a little more structural eyecandy that lets you focus on interest areas, whereas especially the grey areas of Republic chart are a little more intimidating as a soup of text. I wonder if a couple of new background colors or delineation lines would help.

P.S. one of the great unfulfilled needs of chartology (as far as I know) is to update something like the last global map page on http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/ where all DNA-suggested paths of migrations are projected on a world map. Or on both a mitochondrial and y-type map, in case it comes out differently based on which DNA they tracked.

Edited by caesar novus

Thanks for that caesar novus. I agree completely. The imperial chart is simple and striking, and the Republican one a vast soup. The various greys in the Wars boxes are keyed to the timeline at left, but they are rather dull and dreary. I'll keep working on it.

Garry

Thanks; very impressive! The Empire chart displays a little more structural eyecandy that lets you focus on interest areas, whereas especially the grey areas of Republic chart are a little more intimidating as a soup of text. I wonder if a couple of new background colors or delineation lines would help.

P.S. one of the great unfulfilled needs of chartology (as far as I know) is to update something like the last global map page on http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/ where all DNA-suggested paths of migrations are projected on a world map. Or on both a mitochondrial and y-type map, in case it comes out differently based on which DNA they tracked.

• 3 weeks later...