UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MatthewMcIntosh

Coinage as Propaganda

I would like to hear thoughts anyone may have in reference to the use of coinage as a tool of propaganda. In Augustan Culture: An Interpretive Introduction, Karl Galinsky writes, "...coinage at best can reaffirm 'propaganda' though not create it. At most, coin types can serve as a reflection on, and as a record and affirmation of, something that is already known through other sources." (39)

I tend to agree with Galinsky, but I'm not quite sure just yet.

Edited by MatthewMcIntosh

Coinage is much like a modern day TV advertisement. It is something seen by millions everyday, as a way of subtly communicating ideas. I consider coinage propoganda, as it would have reinforced the idea of Romanisation on the provinces. And the fact each Emperor loved to make coins of himself was a way of showing 'whos boss' in Rome.

I would like to hear thoughts anyone may have in reference to the use of coinage as a tool of propaganda. In Augustan Culture: An Interpretive Introduction, Karl Galinsky writes, "...coinage at best can reaffirm 'propaganda' though not create it. At most, coin types can serve as a reflection on, and as a record and affirmation of, something that is already known through other sources." (39)

Respectfully, this may be true today, but in Ancient Rome coinage served as one of the most important sources of propaganda, as well as reinforcing previously held concepts and beliefs.

Ancient Rome was a mostly illiterate society. There were, of course, no electronic means for propagation of government messages and propaganda.

I believe this author has failed to appreciate the limited sources of information available to the average Ancient Roman. Today, we are inundated with news and opinion about the world around us from various sources: TV, radio, computers, smart phones, newsprint, etc. Also, our need for coinage has diminished with the electronic transfer of funds.

The average Roman, who was illiterate, would be dependent on direct interactions with others (at baths, shops, or military barracks) for news about the outside world. This face to face interaction would possibly be his only interaction with the world outside his family or village.

Coinage would be,therefore, a very simple but effective source of news: the latest conquests, the birth of a new child or marriage in the Imperial family, the newest Emperor, etc.

The newsreader would be one of the few other means of public notification:

Here's a coin that depicts the new Augustan control of Egypt:

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=3015&lotNo=23281

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy