UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
cinzia8

Slave Apparel

Hi all:

I'm wondering if anyone knows if a male slave held in high regard might ever wear a pewter or gold earring, or would it absolutely be made of iron? Has anyone read, taught or studied about the lifestyle of Roman house slaves that might give me some reliable information or sources?

Cinzia

A freedmen definitely, a slave probably. There was no dress code for slaves so they looked just like free people. Maybe sumptuary laws had an interdiction, but they were rarely enforced after the end of the Republic.

Iron earrings? I doubt that existed. Iron rusts and rust is prime habitat for the tetanus bacteria that makes a nasty disease. Iron is also not very decorative. Bronze and pewter are more likely metals for cheap jewelry.

A freedmen definitely, a slave probably. There was no dress code for slaves so they looked just like free people. Maybe sumptuary laws had an interdiction, but they were rarely enforced after the end of the Republic.

Iron earrings? I doubt that existed. Iron rusts and rust is prime habitat for the tetanus bacteria that makes a nasty disease. Iron is also not very decorative. Bronze and pewter are more likely metals for cheap jewelry.

Thank you so much, Kosmo. I was wondering about this and thinking maybe pewter, but an acquaintance more into the Medieval time period told me iron. Today, I also found a snippet about bronze for common earrings, but nothing substantial. Thanks again.

Cinzia