UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
prr

Multiple triumphs

Pompey triumphed three times. I assume that he was the only Roman to have done this. Is this true? Also, did any other Roman triumph twice?

Per the fasti triumphales multiple triumphs include:

Imp Caesar Divi filus (Augustus) II 36 (apparently ovations)

C Iulius Caesar VI 44

M Aemilius Lepidus II from Spain 43

Cn Pompieus Magnus III from Asia Pontus Armenia etc 61

T Didius II over Celtiberi 93

M Claudius Marcellus II over Apuani and ? 155/4

L Aemilius Paullus II over King Perseus 167/6

M Aemilius Lepidus II over Ligurians 175/4

Ti Sempronius Gracchus II over Sardinia 175/4

M Fulvius Nobilior II over Aetolians 187/6

D Iunius Pera II over Sassinates over Sallentini & Messapii 266/5

N Fabius Pictor II over Sallentini & Messapii 266/5

L Papirius Cursor L f Sp n II over Tarentines Lucanii Samnites Bruttii 272/1

Sp Carvilius Maximus II over Samnites Lucanii Bruttii Tarentines 272/1

M' Curius Dentatus IV over Samnites & King Pyrrhus 275/4

Q Fabius Maximus Gurges II over Samnites Lucanii Bruttii 276/5

C Fabricius Luscinus II over Lucani Bruttii Tarentines Samnites 278/7

Q Fabius Maximus Rullianus III over Samnites Etruscans Gauls 295/4

M Valerius Corvus IV over Etruscans & Marsi 301/0

C Iunius Bubulcus Brutus II over Aequi302/1

L Papirius Cursor Sp f L n III over Samnites 309/8

Q Publilius Philo II over Samnites & Paleopolitani 326/5

M Fabius Ambustis II Over Tiburtines 354/3

C Sulpicius Peticus II over Gauls 358/7

M Furius Camillus IV over Gauls 367/6

Sp Cassius Vicellinus II over Volsci Hernici 486/5

P Valerius Poplicola II over Sabines & Veientes 504/3

Ser Tullius III (King) over Etruscans ?

L Tarquinius Priscus III (King) over Sabines 585/4

The dates are all BC and are translated from Ab Urbe Conditia, the year after the foundation of Rome. Since the consular year began in March prior to 153 BC, earlier Roman years corresponded to parts of two modern (Julian) years; thus 279/8 BC is March 279-Feb 278.

Roman Numeral indicates the iteration (eg, II second triumph)

Website www.attalus.org provides the list from A DeGrasse "Fasti Capitolini", 1954 and has an explanatory note.

Edited by Pompieus

Nice list.

OK so he was the first to get three triumphs since one of the Fabii had done it over 200 years before.

Edited by prr

That's right, since M' Curius Dentatus in 275 BC. Also he was the first to be allowed a triumph for victories achieved when holding no official magistracy or promagistracy. He was only 24 years old and a mere eques.

Edited by Pompieus

You could always read Mary Beard's The Roman Triumph if you want to more know about the phenomena. Or perhaps know less to be honest - the book goes through an awful lot of what do we know and what we and Hollywood just made up. Good read, although it's almost predictable in the end.

You could always read Mary Beard's The Roman Triumph if you want to more know about the phenomena. Or perhaps know less to be honest - the book goes through an awful lot of what do we know and what we and Hollywood just made up. Good read, although it's almost predictable in the end.

Thanks, Klingan, although I've had another book of hers in my library that was pretty good, I don't' get the impression that I'd get much out of this one (on triumphs). The reviews that I've read all said that it was largely deconstructionist, and what I'm doing now is simply looking at literary accounts (Josephus on Vespasian's, and others on Pompey's in 61 BC) and seeing what they have to say.

Didn't the divine Julius grant himself 4 triumphs (the last being a step too far - a triumph over fellow Romans was not taken too well by the populusques).

Caesar the Dictator triumphed Sep 20-Oct 1 of 46 BC over Gaul, Egypt, Pontus and Lybia. Pharsalus was not mentioned. The "official" version was that Cato, Scipio, Petreius and the others defeated in Africa were renegades in the service of king Juba of Numidia. But no one was fooled and it caused much ill-will. (Suet Caes 37, Plut Caes 55, Dio 43.19 App BC 2)

In early October of 45 he triumphed for Spain rather than over the sons of Pompey, but this led to even more bad feeling-one of the tribunes refused to rise and greet him as his triumphal chariot went by.

This adds up to 5 triumphs, while the fasti list a 6th in February of 44- apparently an "Ovation" celebrated on the Alban Mount.

Thanks, Klingan, although I've had another book of hers in my library that was pretty good, I don't' get the impression that I'd get much out of this one (on triumphs). The reviews that I've read all said that it was largely deconstructionist, and what I'm doing now is simply looking at literary accounts (Josephus on Vespasian's, and others on Pompey's in 61 BC) and seeing what they have to say.

Deconstruction is really the word - the book would tell you much more about source criticism than anything else.

Anyway, another further reading; you could take a look into the works of Ida