UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Geranio

Nero's Domus Aurea- Bigger then we thought? Joe Geranio

I recently watched a video on excavations on he NE slope of the Palatine and they found The arch structures you see in the backround were a vestibule portico that led to the Domus Aurea. I had no idea it went this far towards the NE slope of the Palatine!! This is wonderful news to me as I follow everything Julio Claudian. I will also attach a link to a video by AIRC president Darius Arya.

The size and scope of Nero's Golden Hous never ceases to amaze me, but the video will speak for itself.

Joe Geranio

JCIA

Nice... yaay darius. But thats not expanding the estimated extent if they still think that round structure recently dug up and displayed way up the pal hill is the rotating roofed banquet room. Anyway to be sure i have enough room for my private lifesize replica of that complex, ill have to warm up some bulldozers and get out the dynamite.

Nice... yaay darius. But thats not expanding the estimated extent if they still think that round structure recently dug up and displayed way up the pal hill is the rotating roofed banquet room. Anyway to be sure i have enough room for my private lifesize replica of that complex, ill have to warm up some bulldozers and get out the dynamite.

The arches are near the NE slope of the Palatine, the arches are way further out than expected, they were some sort of covered buttress system?

Yeah, but climb those buttresses almost all the way up palantine to find newly dug up spot of neros supposed banquet room. It is near church s sabastiano and temple of elagabalus iirc and we have a topic here with pix and maybe video of it. So look from there way down to the valley with the colluseum and back up the distant slope where neros octagon room is and you have not only huge extent but vast changes in altitude, which i dont see represented in the graphics.

In texas someone built a replica of the forbidden city in a cow field. It wasnt full scale and attracts limited tourists. I would really like to see full scale model of neros house, esp since i didnt score a tour of the octagon part before closure. Maybe someone here has pix of octagon rooms etc.