UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

English to Latin translation

ViaGregorio

Designing a tattoo I'm considering having put on my back that includes the insignia of the Scottish clan from the maternal side of my family. The image central to the insignia is of a castle turret on a small, rocky island. Since the insignia doesn't have an interesting motto associated with it I thought about the phrases "stand your ground" or "I stand my ground" or something along those lines. Do either of those phrases translate readily? Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Edited by ViaGregorio

Personally I don't go for tattoos but if you are intending using a Heraldic image associated with your family name then messing about with either the family crest or the associated motto is a really BAD idea.

The next thing you know the College of Heralds will be round demanding you get it corrected or rather since it is to do with Scottish heraldry it will be a representative from The Court of the Lord Lyon. ;)

Personally I don't go for tattoos but if you are intending using a Heraldic image associated with your family name then messing about with either the family crest or the associated motto is a really BAD idea.

The next thing you know the College of Heralds will be round demanding you get it corrected or rather since it is to do with Scottish heraldry it will be a representative from The Court of the Lord Lyon. ;)

Hi Mel,

It seems like Latin tattoos have taken the tattoo world by a storm, since Angelina Jolie got one.

But you're right, they can easily go wrong.

A Latin tattoo translater could help one out for just 10 dollars..........

Don't like tattoos either,

Jeroen

Hi Mel,

It seems like Latin tattoos have taken the tattoo world by a storm, since Angelina Jolie got one.

But you're right, they can easily go wrong.

A Latin tattoo translater could help one out for just 10 dollars..........

Don't like tattoos either,

Jeroen

Have another look at the title of the thread...you'll see it's "English to Latin translation" and not "please inform me on your opinion of tattoos". I'll try out a different source.

• 1 year later...

What police powers does this shameful, laughable court of inbred bastards have?   

You want a coat of arms, I'll knight you.... I can grow a better beard than that old foggy on that website, and can dress better too.

If his sense of honour is offended, he can fight me to get it back. Cold Blue Steel, or a Spork..... Doesn't much matter. 

My suggestion is Google Translate..... it always comes out with the most interesting translations. If you put your google translate Latin tattoo pics on here, I'll post pictures of me putting this Arch-Duke of Lyon in a headlock, giving him a nuggie. He has no power or authority over anything dressed like that.

Edited by Onasander