UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Raedarius

Total War: Rome II

This is great news. Can't wait to play it!

Edit: It seems I'll have to wait till Christmas 2013. Still great news anyway.

This is great news. Can't wait to play it!

Edit: It seems I'll have to wait till Christmas 2013. Still great news anyway.

Yup, that's my present for [whenever] sorted out.

Good review, though someone should point out to the journalist that the only legionnaires before the walls of Carthage were in the French foreign one several centuries later. So we can't rely on this gent for an assessment of historical accuracy. ('Don't mess with the ninth' would only be accurate if their mess hall was atrocious. Why not choose one of the real kick-ass legions like XIIII GMV?)

Won't stop me conquering the world with urban cohorts (or perhaps vigiles?), and playing Roman roulette with flaming catapults.

Portate! (Bring it on!)

Excellent news! This has been one of my most anticipated releases for the last few years. Let's hope it lives up to the hype. And please,please,please don't add Roman Ninja, Chariot-Ballistae or superhuman barbarians into it this time.

Here's the live action trailer:

I need a "Computer Games for Dummies" book or something, but maybe you can explain to me how these games are played? It looks like a movie, do you assume certain characters, do you have to complete certain tasks to advance to the next level( or is that only in antiquated version of computer games?) :) Do you type in what you want your character to do and say?

What I want to know is if the game is a little more historical. Is Rome a united faction, or is it still split into three ahistorical mafia families?

Good review, though someone should point out to the journalist that the only legionnaires before the walls of Carthage were in the French foreign one several centuries later.

Maybe they were Gauls?

Sorry, couldn't resist that one :D

What I want to know is if the game is a little more historical. Is Rome a united faction, or is it still split into three ahistorical mafia families?

Speaking for myself, I always loved wiping the Julii off the face of the earth.

Great news. Wish they would add some information on the game thou.

Speaking for myself, I always loved wiping the Julii off the face of the earth.

Hope they will add something like the Barbarian invasion expansion pack. Once I had my combo of woolly little cataphracts and armoured archers assembled, the hordes were toast, with the western empire soon to follow.

Apparently this one will be far more historically accurate. I don't know if they are going with several Roman factions like last time, but one of the lead developers has stated that the Ptolemaic Egyptians will now have armies of Greek mercenaries and native auxillia rather than the New Kingdom 'King Tut' Style Egyptians of the original game.

The Graphics on the other hand look fantastic, as this in-game screenshot demonstrates:

26857APersonalChallenge_03.png

I think this image is supposed to demonstrate the siege of Carthage, although I could be mistaken. Cities in the new game will also appear differently, instead of being carbon copies of each other like in the original Rome. Also historical cities like Carthage, Rome, Athens, Alexandria, Babylon etc will feature historically accurate topography. For instance, Alexandria will feature the great library and the Pharos lighthouse, while Athens will have the Parthenon on the the Acropolis and so on.

My computer is going to burn if I even try to get close to this game :(

My computer is going to burn if I even try to get close to this game :(

This aspect saddens me too, it looks like you need a supercomputer to be able to run this game on the highest settings. Developers at the Creative Assembly claim that the game will run on lower end machines. One developer even said that if you can run Total War: Shogun 2, you can run Total War: Rome II. whether this is true remains to be seen, but I don't have high hopes. I actually have an old magazine from around 2003, when the original Rome was in development, which contains an interview the game's developers. Back then the Creative Assembly assured readers that Rome would feature battles with up to 80,000 men on screen that would run fine on your computer if you could play Medieval: Total War. That turned out to be a big lie in then end.