UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A Trivia Question

Guest slackin

Guest slackin

Hello everyone. Great site you have going here! I was searching around for an answer to a trivia question when I stumbled upon your site here. Seems to be a wealth of knowledge here so I thought I would run the question by you. Anyway, here it is:

Who was the only Roman general named after the people he conquered?

Thanks in advance! :D

There were many actually... Macedonicus, Africanus, Numidicus, Germanicus, Britannicus just to name a relatively well known few. Some were deserved as in the cases of Scipio Africanus and Lucius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus. Others were not, such as Quintus Caecilius Metellus Numidicus who was awarded the title despite doing little and after Marius took command of the war against Jugurtha, and Britannicus which was awarded to Claudius despite the fact that he really only sponsored the expedition and didn't conquer the province (yes he was present at the 'victory' over Caratacus, but Plautius was the true commanding general.)

Guest slackin

Well you guys sound like you know your stuff better than the one asking the trivia question. Since he seems to think there is only one, which one would you guess he is thinking of?

My fiancee's boss asks everyone at her work a trivia question every month and usually it's a pretty tough one. She usually asks me and then gets me interested so I have to find the answer or it dives me nuts. Thanks for the replies!

There are actually Romans who received agnomen based on tribal victories (Claudius Gothicus) rather than territorial (Scipio Africanus for example). Without looking them up I don't recall them all off the top of my head, but suffice to say there is more than one. So the trivia question is flawed, but I'd be willing to bet he his referring to P. Cornelius Scipio Africanus.