UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Venatio lion vs tiger

Guest Silver

It does grate against modern sensibilities doesn't it? Nonetheless this sort of thing has a latent fascination in human beings and animals are set against each other today in secrecy or in parts of the world without such ethics. Human beings are a very cruel animal sometimes.

Bear in mind that the Romans did not have film or television. We see bloodletting and all sorts of shenanigans portrayed regularly, often with the perpetrator as a hero or focus of the tale. Then there's the evening news that shows real things happening, albeit it in a censored form.

Whilst it is true that Rome was a society that carried a level of violence we would find unacceptable today, there was little entertainment for the masses. The arena filled that need and provided a means of securing popularity for the games sponsor. For most Romans, the opportunity to see a giraffe for instance was pretty well non-existent. Imagination a creature, half camel, half leopard, with a long neck and stately manner? Wow... But if the animal is dangerous, the only way a Roman can see that danger is by a demonstration of it.

This tolerance of violence also demonstrated Rome's superiority by displaying mastery over nature. These animals might be fast and furious but they are fighting duels at the Roman behest. Romans wanted excitement, drama, tension, and an opportunity to gamble. It was, in its own way, a form of escapism. Rome was a vibrant colourful city at its peak, but as Mary Beard observes, it sucked people in and used them up.

Mind you some Romans weren't so impressed with the bloodletting - it seems humane ideas are also part of the human psyche.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

-

I love the Roman culture for it's sophisicated deligence an brilliance of recording million's of memorabilia, I have found some intresting artifact's on leo an tigris and I wanted to know exactly who was usually the victor in the arena when these 2 mighty beast enter'd combat, I wanted to ask people that were directly in Rome that could have more that I can see my self. I am very familiar that it is a toss up being they are anatomically the same cat but I'm sure there must have been more memorabilia by the hundred's documented of the past. I am familiar with Martial peter's to have said that he saw a tigris kill a lion but had the word's unexpexted as in unknown at any time an era for that to have been witnnesed, plus a art artifact that was done by Mosiac, was the only 2 thing's I found for the tiger's side. Which I really do not care for an opinion on the matter, beingi this day an age it is more sought out to preserve an protect these majestic animal's from extintion, so just the histiorical artifact's please.

-

I found alot more for the lion's side though, such as these...

books-2.png

books_003-3.png

-

2609_5_1.jpg

F1431805101.jpg

Fragonard-to-Feininger-Exhibition-Theodore-Gericault-Combat-of-a-Lion-and-a-Tiger-213x213.jpg

2511200674623lion1_th.jpg

-

• 2 weeks later...

It seems my bro had posted this thread an started things off okay...tryed Pm-ing him but it cant go threw for some reason, oh wells...I'll take up where he left off...an add more

-

#1.The lion mangles in his lair the tiger of the east

http://books.google.com/books?id=j8hZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA563&lpg=PA563&dq=lion+fights+combat+tiger++dead+abu&source=bl&ots=Fdgs65WC2_&sig=H7vWueW753wdCAb9rkRSImuqoKs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MnQGUJaIHKGQ2QWN7PW_BQ&ved=0CCQQ6AewAA

http://c48743.r43.cf3.rackcdn.com/Images/2009_04/08/0003/147355/147355_c40ec03c-3661-4b2e-b4f7-5314cb28b9b4_-1_273.Jpeg

-

#2.Lion defeating tiger in combat Royal Emperyium of Rome...

2609_5_1.jpg

-

#3Another mosaic in the House of the Faun , now badly damaged, showed a lion standing over a prostrate tiger.

http://books.google.com/books?id=vt9JwsNcKzwC&pg=PA148&lpg=PA148&dq=lion+tiger+faun&source=bl&ots=isc59w57MT&sig=EYFviHdwZOCiZa-eQuPmGwQcEbc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_g4PUNLlJaf5iwLPuYHgDw&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAA

-

#4Lion kills tiger saving man...

http://books.google.com/books?id=4ILtFslJTDQC&pg=PA251&lpg=PA251&dq=lion+and+tiger+sculpture+italy&source=bl&ots=_zZtRj-Xbt&sig=oeLY3wwRpGtG6PCWb1OlQ64zL6Q&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZwgPUKSmNMuJiwLE74HIDw&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAw

-

#5.lion dominate

Edited by Golden Prime

• 1 month later...

Funny this thread was mentioned.

AFAIK almost all sources are biased to the online esp. Wikipedia's "Lion VS Tiger" Article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_versus_lion

Despite all this I found a Lion VS Tiger thread I can't remember where the site is. It stated that it depended on the breed of either creature. An Indian Lion would defnitely get slaughtered by a Tiger from the same region.However an African Lion would destroy a Siberian Tiger and at least be a match for the Indian Tiger (less biased sources I read stated it could go either way).

Can't remember the specirfic breeds,sorry.