UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Tea in Roman times

Crispina

You would think physicians would infuse leaves of certain medicinal plants as a drink for healings, possible cures. Were mints grown or wild versions of the mint family possibly used in medicines. I never thought to check out ancient Roman recipes, I'm sure they used herbs in cooking; why not in drinks?

You probably need to look into a full edition of Plint the Elder's 'Natuaral History' or the surviving works of Galen and similar Greco-roman period authors to get an idea of how various herbal mixtures were used for medicine (and/or magic).

The Universite of Virgina Health systems site is a good start since it has some useful overview information on Antiqua Medicina: From Homer to Vesalius it touches on Roman, Etruscan medicine, Galen and other related topics.

• 2 weeks later...

Not for any acedemic reason, but I'm sure you'll be interested if you read Asterix in Britain. It purports to answer your exact question, even though it is intended to be taken with a pinch of salt (the story, not the tea, which should be taken with a twist of lemon.)

Not for any acedemic reason, but I'm sure you'll be interested if you read Asterix in Britain. It purports to answer your exact question, even though it is intended to be taken with a pinch of salt (the story, not the tea, which should be taken with a twist of lemon.)

:lol: I just watched Part One of the animated movie, Asterix in Britain, yes I see now THEY at least had afternoon "tea" way back when. How funny. Thanks for the heads up on the series. I bookmarked the site to watch more. I'll check out the books,too.

OT: How is your summer of tours going so far, Ghost? You mainly guide tours of the wall right? what other sites, if any, were you able to visit?

But of course the english love affair with tea resulted from colonial imperialism in India. Before that it was good no-nonsense beer that saw you through the day. Hard to imagine pre-conquest Britons stopping a fight for a pint or too though. And many who confronted Caesar in Britain were gauls and belgae too.

OT: How is your summer of tours going so far, Ghost? You mainly guide tours of the wall right? what other sites, if any, were you able to visit?

I'll PM to not clog up this thread, but to put it in a nutshell: Wet.