UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What would military slingers carry?

It is not something I have ever seen written down but in addition to specifically or conveniently shaped sling shot stones/ ammunition I would presume that they may have carried a small pot of oil or grease to keep the material of the sling supple or dry in wet weather. Where there was no central supply from a fabricae then one or two may even have carried their own small crucible and mould for making lead shot.

Depending on their skill level and more importantly what the sling was made from (I have seen references to both leather and woven hemp slings) then some of them may have carried basic tools such as a knife so they could make or repair slings in the field.

Otherwise their pouches will probably have been used like everyone elses to contain odds and ends that people on campaign collect such as spare food or valuables. :unsure:

It is not something I have ever seen written down but in addition to specifically or conveniently shaped sling shot stones/ ammunition I would presume that they may have carried a small pot of oil or grease to keep the material of the sling supple or dry in wet weather. Where there was no central supply from a fabricae then one or two may even have carried their own small crucible and mould for making lead shot.

Depending on their skill level and more importantly what the sling was made from (I have seen references to both leather and woven hemp slings) then some of them may have carried basic tools such as a knife so they could make or repair slings in the field.

Otherwise their pouches will probably have been used like everyone elses to contain odds and ends that people on campaign collect such as spare food or valuables. :unsure:

coolness

What did slingers carry in their possibles bag or shepherd bag/shot bag besides ammo?

post-3665-0-53925800-1343172568_thumb.png

I can't imagine much. Not a lot of room in that man purse. :P

According to the article below:

Balearic missiles were sometimes 63 mm in diameter
Edited by guy

• 2 weeks later...

Did I read somewhere that the pound (weight) came from the ideal weight of a stone to be used in a sling?

Surely not, I would have thought that sling stones had to be no more than a couple of ounces at most. At the least the ones I used were no more than an inch or two across pretty much small peeble size rather than 'cob'.

On the origin of the word 'pound', from Wikipedia...

The libra (Latin for "scales / balance") is an ancient Roman unit of mass that was equivalent to approximately 328.9 grams. It was divided into 12 uncia, or ounces. The libra is the origin of the abbreviation for pound, lb. The commonly used abbreviation lbs to indicate the plural unit of measurement does not reflect Latin usage, in which lb is both the singular and plural abbreviation.

The pound was a unit of account in Anglo-Saxon England, equal to 240 silver pennies and equivalent to one pound weight of silver. It evolved into the modern British currency, the pound sterling.

The accounting system of 4 farthings = 1 penny, 12 pence = 1 shilling, 20 shillings = 1 pound was adopted from that introduced by Charlemagne to the Frankish Empire (see French livre).

The origins of sterling lie in the reign of King Offa of Mercia, (757

Edited by caldrail

I seem to remember it was amongst the propeganda of one of those 'Metric martyr/UKIP' types, so its authenticity is in serious doubt.

Well far be it usual for me to totally agree with Caldrail in this case he is supported by no better an 'authority' than Encyclopedea Britannica. :D

Mind you even they may not always get things 100% right so maybe some of our numismatisticly inclined members have alternative views???