UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Primary sources for sack of Rome in 410

prr

I'm trying to read some ancient descriptions of this, but can't seem to find anything decent. Let me indicate what I've read, and if you can give me anything else, I'll be very grateful:

Orosius Contra Paganos 2.19

Augustine City of God 1.12-18

Jerome Ep. 127 (ad Principiam)

Socrates Church History 7.10

Sozomen Eccl Hist 9.9-10

Procopius Wars 3.2.7-39

Now Socrates' description was the best, but hardly detailed enough for my purposes. Procopius has the most material by far in his passage, but it there is hardly anything on the sack itself, and more on the move of the Goths to Rome, and the way they got in (getting slaves to overpower guards and then open one of the gates).

Is there anything more detailed in any ancient source?

Edited by prr

I'm trying to read some ancient descriptions of this, but can't seem to find anything decent. Let me indicate what I've read, and if you can give me anything else, I'll be very grateful:

Orosius Contra Paganos 2.19

Augustine City of God 1.12-18

Jerome Ep. 127 (ad Principiam)

Socrates Church History 7.10

Sozomen Eccl Hist 9.9-10

Procopius Wars 3.2.7-39

Now Socrates' description was the best, but hardly detailed enough for my purposes. Procopius has the most material by far in his passage, but it there is hardly anything on the sack itself, and more on the move of the Goths to Rome, and the way they got in (getting slaves to overpower guards and then open one of the gates).

Is there anything more detailed in any ancient source?

I don't think there is. Although Zosimus covered the sack, the relevant part of his work has been lost.

See: Zosimus, 1814 Translation (Ridley's text ends at the same point).