UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hamilcar Barca

Kingdom Of Heaven

One can't help but notice the veracity of this quote by one scholar in that article.

"It sounds absolute balls. It's rubbish. It's not historically accurate at all. They refer to The Talisman, which depicts the Muslims as sophisticated and civilised, and the Crusaders are all brutes and barbarians. It has nothing to do with reality.

Bollocks to them, can nobody just sit back and enjoy a film any more? Everythign has to be Political... What the hell. God forbid Christians should be seen in a negative light, and those sand eating stinky Muslims as anything more than the blood thirsty wankers they are :thumbsup: . It's unfortunate that people are dumb enough to educate themselves with movies meant for entertainment, so people know this and get all angry over every film that even moderately touches on history semi-seriously. Nobody should expect films to do anything more than entertain, and perhaps spark an interest in the subject matter which movie-goers can then pursue and read about afterwards on thier own.

I've read a few articles that report local Christian writers and magazine editors, aswell as Christian community leaders being invited to a private showing of the movie. And afterwards nearly all of them have gone and reported it as being a travesty and a crime against Christianity itself and urging everyone they can get to listen to boycott the film and not go see it. So it's great when movies like 'the Passion' promote their faith, but as soon as a film projects a moderate view, fair to both sides and to likely facts and human nature, they are up in arms and shitting bricks... What is wrong with the world? Does every film need to have an agenda, or can we just watch a well written graphically stunning film, with an interesting plot that is not spewing propaganda for 2 hours? <_<

Bollocks to them, can nobody just sit back and enjoy a film any more?

Speaking for myself, I've never found historical revisionism very entertaining, especially if there is a political agenda behind it (as there usually is).

Everythign has to be Political...

Yep. And Hollywood is one of the most active political forces around. :thumbsup: A politically correct white wash regarding Western foreign policy against the Islamic world. Can't help but think this has something to do with recent real world events.

God forbid Christians should be seen in a negative light, and those sand eating stinky Muslims as anything more than the blood thirsty wankers they are

And god(s) forbid anyone should mention that Islamic hordes invaded Europe first, and don't always conform to the "religion of peace" that is the mantra of tolerance activists everywhere. <_< In many circles you can paint Christians as evil, bloodthirsty imperialists, and this passes without comment. If one says the slightest thing against historical or modern Islamic forces, this is derided as intolerance, ignorance and hatespeech. I'm far from being a right wing Christian conservative and even I can see this is bogus.

There is an agenda here. That's the whole point of the critique. The movie isn't exclusively about entertainment - it has something of an agenda of its own and is far from being balanced itself.

I was'nt trying to say that the Islamic world was never aggressive or that they were peaceful cherubs writing poems, I'm just sick that nobody in the western world can stand it when they are shown as smart or civilised. I myself am a Catholic, and proud to be one, but I have alot of Muslim friends, and I have spent time in the Middle east in the UAE, Saudi, Lebanon, and yes, the Holy City itself, Jerusalem! So it angers me when people who don't know anything about Muslim culture spew a bunch of crap that paints them as an unchanged lot who are still out to Jihad everyone back to the stone age. Also, people squabbaling over the deeds of religous men so very long ago are wasting their time, there is no way for us to know exactly what happened, what the people were actually like, or exactly how events took place, none of us were there so why is everybody a expert on the affiars of men who have been dead for centuries? Also I find it funny that Right wing Christians, most of whom are Protestant are defending the actions of a bunch of Catholic Crusaders, I thought they hated our guts :D

heh.. political correctness offends me :D

nazis vs the ragheads... ROUND ONE!!!

(im not racist... i hate everyone equally ;) )

How were the battle/seige scenes Hamilcar ?

Actually pretty good, they and the movie were historically acurate in the greater sense. The battle of the Horns of Hattin was skipped to the aftermath but the siege and assault on Jeruselum was great: around 45 minutes of outstanding action, even though it did feel slightly like a rerun of LOTR. Overall, better than I expected. :D

Ummm, how was Dar-al-Islam not sophisticated and civilized? With the possible exception of China, it was the most sophisticated and civilized society in the world at that time. I agree that it is tiresome to have Europe protrayed as stupid vandals stealing from civilized nations. That's more irksome than the portrayal of Islam.

Hamilcar Barca, I was hoping that the action sequences (esp. the seige) would be worth a look because most movie writing these days leaves me cold.

i just saw the movie myself.. i thought it was well worth the 4 bucks to get in ;)

as far as the whole making the christians look horrid and the muslims ritious or what not.. i think the movies purpose was to show how religious fanatics... no matter what religion... are crazy, savage, and warhungry.

and for the first time.. i dont hate orlando bloom in a movie. i thought he did rather well as his roll, although i really wish liam neeson had more of a part in it.

Saw it, Loved it, I heard the DVD version is going to be 6 hours long. they had to cut the cinema version to 3 hours ;)

and for the first time.. i dont hate orlando bloom in a movie

Indeed, he was despicable in Troy but here he worked realy well.

6 hour uncut DVD? Wow, i've got to see that.

Okay, I'm going to go see it on your recommendations. With my limited amount of time in big chunks, if I don't like it, watch out! :2guns: