UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hamilcar Barca

Kingdom Of Heaven

Considering the accuracy of Gladiator, I'd be surprised if this isn't similar. However, I don't doubt that it will be entertaining.

You know you're going to have to spend that twelve bucks on it anyway Hamilcar, no matter how many people tell you it's a dog. I know I will :)

Do what i do

Download them,u know its going to be a stinker,why waist your hard earned cash.

I cant wait to see it,i love the crusaders.

12 bucks,thats cheap

Lately I just wait and borrow other people's DVDs. If the movie stinks I'm only out 2 hours of my life.

I hate the theatres anyway. Screaming kids running out every five minutes to to the restroom or the food stand. The talkative morons who feel compelled to deliver running commentary on the movie to their neighbors. Filthy people who fill the air with their body odor or flatulence. The incessant cacophony of a nearby obese person who rummages through $50 worth of food candy bars and popcorn. And my favorite people of all - the ones who come in 30 minutes late and make commotion while they frantically search for the few remaining seats.

Yeah, wait to borrow the DVD.

holy crap.. its 12 bvucks for you guys? its like 6 for us in my town... well for a matinee showing. after like 6pm its like 8-10 i think...

anyhoo im sure as hell gonna go see it. does anyone know what part of the crusade it is supposed to take place in? whats seige and all that??

Its the siege of Jerusalem,i think.

O yeah, I'm sure I'll see it in any case, I was just wondering if anyone had seen it yet. By the way the $12 is in $NZ and the movie is apprantly set in the 3rd Crusade, the one with Saladin and Richard I.

ooooo the third crusade was no good.... thay shoulda done the 34th crusade! or the 81st! but not the third. bad choice for the third ;)

It could not be the third crusade, as in the film the Christians hold Jerusalem, and Richard I never set foot inside the city, he never even seriously attempted to capture it. Also, in the film the King of Jerusalem is Baldwin IV, who died in 1185 before the third Crusade started in 1189. So, unless the film is just loosely historical (very possible) The happenings in the story take place between the 2nd and 3rd Crusade onward to the death of Baldwin, and the Fall of Jerusalem to Saladin, which in turn sprarked the 3rd Crusade, outrage over the occupation of Jerusalem, and the capture of the True cross etc. Richard failed to capture Jerusalem, and retake the True cross from Saladin, all Richard managed to due was secure Jaffa and Acre and Arsuf. Richard may have been a brilliant warrior, but he was by no means successful in his objectives, he even tried to marry his sister to Saladin's brother to secure peace, he even knighted Saladin's Nephew! Richard could have done alot more, had he not been so cautious and terrified at the prospect of attacking Jerusalem. As he mucked around advancing and retreating twice, he wasted his men's energy, and made them loose faith in his abilities. Either way, Historical or not, it looks like a good movie I plan to drop my $12.50 CAD to see it. I never expect to see historically accurate films, thats not what they are there for, for that we have books and documentaries!

I never expect to see historically accurate films, thats not what they are there for, for that we have books and documentaries!

Good call - expecting them will only lead to disappointment

O, ok. My sources for the movie were obviously incorrect.

Well I dont have any special sources, I just watched the trailer, and read about it on the official website. Perhaps the film does span into the 3rd crusade, but that would only be after Orlando bloom and company get kicked out of Jerusalem. So maybe it does follow the retreat from Jerusalem, maybe Orlando survives and fights later at Acre under Richard or Philip. Who knows? But I see the film ending will the Fall of Jerusalem, unless of course they are going against history, which is totally plausible.

No I'm sure your right Lynch, since starting this topic I went and looked up to see what the movie was about myself. My source was a friend who knows virtually nothing about history and asked me "You'll be seeing that new movie about the 3rd Crusade right?", I then went and brought it up here without doing any reserach first.