UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jarlabanke

Roman constructions in northern Barbaricum?

As many know there are several types of artifacts with roman origin found north of the Limes in a germanic context (eg. swords, glasswork, uniform details etc). But how about constructions and buildings? There are suggestions of Roman style roads and entrance constructional details of certain hillforts in southern Scandinavia, are there any similar (or additional) Roman influenced constructions in northern continental Europe?

As many know there are several types of artifacts with roman origin found north of the Limes in a germanic context (eg. swords, glasswork, uniform details etc). But how about constructions and buildings? There are suggestions of Roman style roads and entrance constructional details of certain hillforts in southern Scandinavia, are there any similar (or additional) Roman influenced constructions in northern continental Europe?

I have read that there are Roman structures in the Czech Republic and southern Poland; I have the precise references somewhere, but would have to wade through all my books, and at present I am not at home. These structures seem to be temporary in nature, i.e. marching camps etc. Likewise there are marching camps and temporary forts well forward of the Antonine Wall in Scotland, as far north as 100 miles from the frontier. As for Northern Germany and Scandinavia as far as I am aware there are no structures which can be definitely verified as Roman. Yet.

So far as I am aware the northernmost positively identified Roman camp was discovered near Hedem

I have read that there are Roman structures in the Czech Republic and southern Poland; I have the precise references somewhere, but would have to wade through all my books, and at present I am not at home. These structures seem to be temporary in nature, i.e. marching camps etc.

That do sound interesting indeed! If you ever get the chance I'd be very greatful for those references.

Well the obvious analogy is the earth embankments found on the Kalkriesse battle site since their leader had served as an auxilliary with the Romans he knew how to construct Roman style defensive walls and by extrapolation how to use them to pin the Romans into a confied killing zone.

Otherwise there is some evidence for cultual exchanges in the form of personal items but I don't have much info on Germania post Roman occupation. So far as I know 'Roman style' buildings tend to be confined to the initial period of Roman occupation maybe Viggen or one of the others can provide an alternative viewpoint?

And I guess there are other factors than the mere existence of architectural knowledge to take under consideration. For instance roman associated phenomenon might not always be preferable among certain chieftains due to socio-political reasons. But hypothetical, wouldn't there be possible to find, say, a roman style mosaic, a hypocaust-like construction or roman military constructions in a germanic settlement?

Roman empire very big and powerful. according to roman culture we distribute his artifacts in different-2 categories like - rchitecture, painting, sculpture and mosaic work.

Roman empire very big and powerful. according to roman culture we distribute his artifacts in different-2 categories like - rchitecture, painting, sculpture and mosaic work.

Right. And what about the actual knowledge (skills) of the architectural work? In what ways could these be distributed?

If building tools for fort construction was anything like the tools used in fort construction during the american colonial era, then not much would of been built. It required a workshop of tools.

Right. And what about the actual knowledge (skills) of the architectural work? In what ways could these be distributed?

Most of these skills were pretty basic to civilisations everywhere. Since the legions had a policy of recruiting tradesmen and had official patterns to worjk to, you would expect work of a fairly uniform nature. Having said that, the level of craftsmanship involved in Roman architecture depends on how long the settlement or fort is located there.

Most of these skills were pretty basic to civilisations everywhere. Since the legions had a policy of recruiting tradesmen and had official patterns to worjk to, you would expect work of a fairly uniform nature. Having said that, the level of craftsmanship involved in Roman architecture depends on how long the settlement or fort is located there.

I see. Though what about the "chief architect", the individual in charge of the construction site, were did he come from? Would he have been a member of a engineering unit, picked from a certain class, education and training etc?