UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Romaniangirl

Vercingetorix medallion identification

Hello ,

I have been online for days trying to find this coin to determine if it is real or fake what it is worth etc....

My mom found it 40 yrs ago in a bush and tasked me with this pursuit...please help wise ones.

Thanks

Left side has vercingetorix along the coin and a male looking left handlebar moustache dreads and pursed lips

other side has a horse running left with a male three dots below horse face

Any help would be great thanks

Hello,

I find it hard to believe that such an item exists, but a picture of each side might come in handy!

Klingan

If what you have shows a 'bearded' warrior on one side and a chariot on the other like the images at the top of this page then it probably is a Roman coin depicting the conquest of Gaul.

On the other hand apparently there were some medallions struck in France late 19th or 20th century like one which depicted Vercingeterix and Brennus from 1900 shown here.

I suppose it is possible that one of the alternative versions may have been struck with a horse on one side instead of Brennus although I couldn't find one with a quick search.

The clincher is probably going to be how round the 'medallion' is. If it is totally round or at least looks 'machined' like in the second link then it probably is a late 19th or 20th century manufacture. There was a fashion to commemorate Vercingetorix in the period either in print or more physical representations - in some instances reusing some images drawn from Roman period coins.

On the other hand if the images are off centre and/or the 'medallion' shape is an irregular like in the first link then you are probably looking at a hand struck coin reused as a 'medallion' and it may even have originally been Roman.

Hello ,

I have been online for days trying to find this coin to determine if it is real or fake what it is worth etc....

Left side has vercingetorix along the coin and a male looking left handlebar moustache dreads and pursed lips

other side has a horse running left with a male three dots below horse face

Any help would be great thanks

Here's a link to some Roman coins sold in auction that possibly have the image of Vercingetorix (or at least a Gallic warrior).

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=Vercingetorix&view_mode=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ol=1&sort=&c=&a=&l=#17

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy