UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New History Books (September 2012)

Viggen

Below are the newest releases for September...

Through the Eye of a Needle: Wealth, the Fall of Rome, and the Making of Christianity in the West, 350-550 AD

Alexander to Constantine: Archaeology of the Land of the Bible

The Archaeology of the Holy Land: From the Destruction of Solomon's Temple to the Muslim Conquest

Alexander to Constantine: Archaeology of the Land of the Bible

Rethinking the Other in Antiquity

The Archaeology of the Holy Land: From the Destruction of Solomon's Temple to the Muslim Conquest

The Rule of Empires: Those Who Built Them, Those Who Endured Them, and Why They Always Fal

Makers of Ancient Strategy: From the Persian Wars to the Fall of Rome

History of Ancient Britain

Medieval Nubia: A Social and Economic History

The Rise of Rome: The Making of the World's Greatest Empire

Antiquity on Display: Regimes of the Authentic in Berlin's Pergamon Museum

The Oxford Handbook of Roman Egypt (Oxford Handbooks)

The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology: The myths and legends of the ancient worlds, from Greece, Rome and Egypt to the Norse and Celtic lands, through Persia and India to China and the Far East

Rome, Pollution and Propriety: Dirt, Disease and Hygiene in the Eternal City from Antiquity to Modernity

Saints and Symposiasts: The Literature of Food and the Symposium in Greco-Roman and Early Christian Culture

Theater Outside Athens: Drama in Greek Sicily and South Italy

The Last Pharaohs: Egypt Under the Ptolemies, 305-30 BC

A History of Exile in the Roman Republic

Calendars in Antiquity: Empires, States, and Societies

Epic and Empire in Vespasianic Rome: A New Reading of Valerius Flaccus' Argonautica

Oxford Readings in Tacitus (Oxford Readings in Classical Studies)

The Psychology of the Athenian Hoplite: The Culture of Combat in Classical Athens

Technologies of Enchantment?: Exploring Celtic Art: 400 BC to AD 100

The Celts [2 volumes]: History, Life, and Culture

Chariots and Other Wheeled Vehicles in Italy Before the Roman Empire

The Invention of Greek Ethnography: From Homer to Herodotus

Making Sense of an Historic Landscape [Hardcover]

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone seen that new book called the Complete Roman Legions (not in the above list)? It definitely looks the business--simply by judging the published photo of Zeugma! That photo is enough to make me buy the book.

I haven't seen this one so far - not published until 1 October 2012 apparently - but it may be interesting to comapre with Dando-Collins 'Legions of Rome' (2010) which I am currently reviewing as both effectively claim to provide the 'first definitive history of every Roman legion'.

Has anyone seen that new book called the Complete Roman Legions (not in the above list)? It definitely looks the business--simply by judging the published photo of Zeugma! That photo is enough to make me buy the book.

I haven't seen this one so far - not published until 1 October 2012 apparently - but it may be interesting to comapre with Dando-Collins 'Legions of Rome' (2010) which I am currently reviewing as both effectively claim to provide the 'first definitive history of every Roman legion'.

That Legions of Rome book is nowhere near as comprehensive as the aforementioned. It's definitely out in the shops already as of Monday... the cover is poor, but the content looks incredible