UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Jesus Was Married?

caldrail

It does seem to have stirred up controvery recently - probably due to it being announced at a symposium.

The BBC is now carrying this report on the announcement in whcih some of the scepticism already generated is highlighted along with further detailed analysis here by Kate Cooper, Prof Ancient History, University of Manchester on their Religion/ Ethics pages. Prof. Cooper discusses some of the potential implications of this and similar fragmentary texts from the early Christian period.

There is a museum in stockholm with rooms and rooms of large colorful wooden statues and carvings from old churches, probably local. Some depict mary magdalene, and the english labels seemed to tell me that she or one of the other figures was the wife of jesus. The most striking thing was the females were shown as jolly and exuberant like at a party. I cant remember which of stockholms 70 or so museums this was in, except it was quite central yet obscure and unvisited. I didnt miss many of them on my multi day museum card.

There is a museum in stockholm with rooms and rooms of large colorful wooden statues and carvings from old churches, probably local. Some depict mary magdalene, and the english labels seemed to tell me that she or one of the other figures was the wife of jesus. The most striking thing was the females were shown as jolly and exuberant like at a party. I cant remember which of stockholms 70 or so museums this was in, except it was quite central yet obscure and unvisited. I didnt miss many of them on my multi day museum card.

That is interesting, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that myself - then again, I shun that sort of museums. But to be honest, if something like that ever would happen, it would be here in Sweden; we are one of the most secular countries in the world (80% or so are atheists), especially in the south if my personal experience is correct.

It might have been in the gothic hall of the history museum http://www.historiska.se/home/exhibitions/thegothichall/ or nearby. I believe among other things they had a medieval life size sculpted trio of the father, mother, and wife of jesus according to the english caption. They seemed to smile like celebrities saying... yeah, we're the jesus team; party on. I was puzzled, but rushed on to greener pastures. The upper floors of the army museum had wowed me, and raised my expectations for finding hidden gems. Mmm, the ethnic cafe in the ethnology museum was another serendipitous pleasure.

• 1 month later...

some developement in this story...

The "Gospel of Jesus' Wife" papyrus, which may or may not be a forgery, seems to be in limbo, as the Harvard Theological Review has pulled the scientific article describing the discovery from their January 2013 issue.

This withdrawal, however, doesn't mean the journal will never publish the scientific paper by Harvard historian Karen King on the supposed lost Gospel. "Harvard Theological Review is planning to publish Professor King's paper after testing is concluded so that the results may be incorporated," Kit Dodgson, director of communications at Harvard Divinity School, wrote in an email to LiveScience.

Even so, the announcement has garnered both anger and elation.

via http://www.livescien...city-tests.html

I had restrained myself from posting the "inside story" from smithsonian magazine... http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/The-Inside-Story-of-the-Controversial-New-Text-About-Jesus-170177076.html?c=y&story=fullstory

I dont actually know or care much about the veracity or ultimate meaning of such X-ianity questions, but just wanted to point out it potentially has a strong whiff of contemporary sociopolitics. Karen king is not a random professor but a self described heretical feminist advocate type of historian. Late in that article sez her studies were aimed at teaching us how to live today, which sounds like a bias alert. Here is a snippet from one of her classes...

She asked the students to introduce themselves and say why they
Edited by caesar novus