UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dalmaticus

Dalmatian cavalry

I have not come across any, but also I have never come on a mention of such cavalry. Dalmatia was more a land of light infantery and, before becoming part of the Republic, a land of pirates going on the sea, something quite logical seeing the nature of the land. It was not really a good place to raise horses since it was both rather poor, undevelopped (or at least under developped), with mainly small coastal villages living from fishing.

Is there a description of the outfit of Dalmatian cavalrymen?

If you mean the Equites Dalmatae as listed in the Notitia Dignitatum, there is little information and it is usually assumed that they were equipped with the same clothing etc as other Late Roman cavalry units. Have a look at 'Late Roman Cavalryman AD 236-565', by Simon MacDowall, or 'Roman Military Clothing (3): AD 400-640' by Raffaele D'Amato and Graham Sumner: they might have some more detailed information - and at least extensive bibliographies!

Edited by sonic

Is there a description of the outfit of Dalmatian cavalrymen?

If you mean the Equites Dalmatae as listed in the Notitia Dignitatum, there is little information and it is usually assumed that they were equipped with the same clothing etc as other Late Roman cavalry units. Have a look at 'Late Roman Cavalryman AD 236-565', by Simon MacDowall, or 'Roman Military Clothing (3): AD 400-640' by Raffaele D'Amato and Graham Sumner: they might have some more detailed information - and at least extensive bibliographies!

Thank you!

Yes, Equites Dalmatae is what I meant.

I did find quite a bit of information online and my friend also sent me a link to Notita Dignitatum this morning to look up shields and such.

Dalmatian coast indeed does not look like the most horse-friendly country and that was even more surprising when I started hearing stories of these horsemen who also served in Britain.

The Late Roman Army by Pat Southern and Karen R Dixon makes some mention of the Equites Dalmatae pointing out how little is known about both their origins and fighting style.